Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-NS20E/S clean install of Windows 7

rayvirgo
Visitor

VGN-NS20E/S clean install of Windows 7

If I had to perform a clean install of Windows 7 on my Vaio, will I be able to install the applications which originally came with this model afterwards from the recovery DVDs or Upgrade kit DVD 1 (especially the Web Cam application) ?

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

If you do a clean install you will lose all the preinstalled software and this cannot be downloaded. It is also a software licensing restriction that these applications are only used as part of a Sony OEM OS installation.

You cannot install these from the Recovery DVDs as this requires the Recovery Centre only available as part of the Sony OEM operating system. For the same reason I do not think you can get the applications from the Sony Upgrade disc.

The Sony Upgrade Kit is an UPGRADE and the disc will only carry any applications that need updating to run on Windows 7. I don't think there will be any applications on this disc as all the currently installed Vista software should run OK.

If you do a clean install you must be prepared to buy all the software applications you need.

:slight_frown:

rayvirgo
Visitor

Thanks for your reply. Your comments are crystal clear, however I was opting for a clean install because after the upgrade (using the new Sony Upgrade kit) to Windows 7, the system became dead slow. Through experience, I learned that a clean install is far better (vis-a-vis performance) than an upgrade. I would like to hear your comments with this regards and maybe forward some hints as I got fed up (for example) waiting for more than 3 minutes for the Welcome screen to pop up. Thanks again.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

You are not the first person to bring this up - so you are not alone. I have seen two similar posts over the last two days. I presume you have done several reboots by now and updated everything on the WU site? You are correct that an upgrade will bring all manner of things across from your old system.

It is going to be a process of elimination I'm afraid because it sounds like a service or driver crashing or cannot find a link.

Did you have any error reports during installation that an application or a driver was not compatible?
How quickly does it boot into Safe Mode?
Can you look in Event Viewer to see if there are any System or Application faults registered?
How Many processes do you have running in Task Manager?
What Version of the nVidia graphics driver have you installed?

Sorry - as I said it will be a process of elimination.

I will monitor how many of these we get and ask for a comment from Sony if it becomes common but they will need much more information than we have at present.

rayvirgo
Visitor

Thanks again for your prompt reply. Before answering your questions, I am performing the following to see if there will be an improvement:
1. Restored the laptop to the default factory installation using the recovery disks. System back with Vista Home Premium 32 bit.
2. Updated Vista with the latest service packs and updates.
3. Did not install third party software.
4. Started again the process to upgrade to Windows 7 using the upgrade kit and following the instructions detailed in the provided booklet.
5. Once the above terminates, I will update Windows 7 with the latest updates (if any) and install third party software.
6. Will defrag the hard disk and remove any unwanted start-up programs and services.

Once I terminate the above, I will post again with an update and if needs be, with a reply to your questions. Thanks and regards.

rayvirgo
Visitor

@ Blencogo

Here are the replies to your questions re the performance of Windows 7 (after the upgrade from Vista 32-bit):

1. Did you have any error reports during installation that an application or a driver was not compatible? - No, everything seems to be working fine (although I do not know whether Windows 7 managed to install the correct and recent drivers). No errors were reported.

2. How quickly does it boot into Safe Mode? - In Safe Mode it boots up much faster (this is normal as it does not use all the system files and drivers to boot in safe mode).

3. Can you look in Event Viewer to see if there are any System or Application faults registered? - No System and Application faults are recorded in the Event Viewer.

4. How Many processes do you have running in Task Manager? - There are 25 to 30 processes running in Task Manager (which I think it is pretty normal).

5. What Version of the nVidia graphics driver have you installed? - The graphics chipset is not nVidia but Intel(in the download site it is so confusing as there are more than one type of Intel Graphics drivers 32 bit; 7UPG_Graphics Driver Intel_type1_32, Graphics Driver - 8.15.10.1872).

Now, since I've posted my entry, I installed all third party software but unfortunately the laptop is still slow before and after the welcome screen. Can you please inform Sony to update the site with the most recent drivers, including the ICH9 SATA Controller drivers as currently I am using the driver supplied for Vista. If you have other similar complaints from VGN-NS20E/S users than it is best that Sony tries to work on a solution because it is becoming rather frustrating.

rayvirgo
Visitor

@ Blencogo

Can you please look at my posts and reply as it has become rather frustrating. A laptop with 3 gigs of RAM running a dead slow Windows 7 after the upgrade. This is a cause for concern for SONY.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

From your information I cannot see any obvious reason for your Vaio to run slowly. It only seems to have happened in a relatively small number of cases and there have been no new reports.

I suggest you speak to Sony Support direct yourself and see what they recommend as they may need more information from you.

Good Luck

rayvirgo
Visitor

@ Blencogo

You know what's funny ? That after I spoke to Vaio Support (and provided with a potential solution) over the online chat support, I had to re-install Windows 7 again (or better recover to the original Vista version and upgrade to Windows 7 using the upgrade kit). The solution provided by Sony was futile and I had to suffer the consequences. Whoever will read this thread will think it twice before purchasing a Sony as their after sales service leaves much to be desired !! I am really angry and frustrated.