Join now - be part of our community!

VGN-FW31E Transfer Rate

mccallum55
Visitor

VGN-FW31E Transfer Rate

Have tried searching for help on this but with no joy.

I am currently using a Netgear (DG834GT) router/access point that allows transfer rates of up to 108mbps. Have set up router to autodetect network at 108mbps but do not know how to adjust wireless setting on laptop to match, as a result still only getting 54mbps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.en_GB.title
micdonal
Visitor

I think your download rate depends on what you're downloading and where from. I'm not personally aware of any setting to change on your pc. Maybe somebody who knows more will come along.
A download manager may help with download speeds. There are free ones available. I have the same router with a Sky setup.
Good luck

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi mccallum55,

welcome to Club VAIO.. :slight_smile:

Using your FW31E inbuilt wireless card will only allow you to connect to your DG834GT at maximum of 54 Mbps..

If you wish to use the routers 108 Mbps wireless capabilities then you will need to purchase additional hardware. Netgear offers two choices either the WG111T Wireless USB adapter or the WG511T wireless laptop card that slides into a PC card slot.

Further details can be found using the following links: WG511T wireless laptop card and WG111T Wireless USB adapter

mccallum55
Visitor

Thanks Thalamus and Quackers88 for your responses - much appreciated. :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

You're welcome.. :slight_smile: