Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio Pro 13 randomly switching off

Vaio Pro 13 randomly switching off

Hi

I have a Vaio Pro 13 (SVP132A1CM) which I've had for about a year and a half and use regularly.

It's worked perfectly until about 2 weeks ago when it's started randomly powering off (hard) . It used to happen once a day or so but now it's happening regularly. Today it happened about 4 times in the space of 30 minutes.

I'm pretty sure it's not a heat problem as I'm not doing anything very demanding and demanding tasks never seem to make it worse.

I suspected a loose battery but moving it around doesn't seem to make it shut down and it normally turns off when it's stationary on a desk

I use it without it being plugged in. I rarely use it whilst it is charging. The battery life is otherwise excellent and lasts for ages.

The Windows Event Log just shows a "Kernel-Power" error

I'd appreciate some help! I think it's still under warranty (extended from John Lewis)

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi TopHattedMan and welcome.

It does sound like an overheating problem so I would eliminate this as a first step.  Download something like 'Speedfan' and check your CPU temperatures.  There are several other free programs here:-

http://listoffreeware.com/best-free-cpu-temperature-monitor-software-windows/

If the temperatures are OK then you will have to look at a power interuption.  If this is not something simple like a poor battery connection it is likely to need a repair or new battery.

Did you say it never happens when on AC power?

:thinking:

I agree that I would interpret it as an overheating problem aswell but it's sometimes only a few minutes after it has been switched on and it's never hot to the touch. I will try speedfan when I get a chance though.

I doubt it's a battery interruption as I would expect that to only really happen when moving it around? I'm not sure though. I carry it in a rucksack most days when I cycle to uni so there's a chance it got knocked around a bit. 

Is it easy to replace the battery on a Pro? It looks very compact. 

I never really use it on AC. the battery hasn't really needed it and there's nowhere to plug it in in the lecture theatre (I use a desktop PC at home.)

Thanks!