Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio PCG-FX501

cyngor
Visitor

Vaio PCG-FX501

Hi, i have a Vaio PCG-FX501 and it wont start up! wont boot no noise all i have is a blinking amber light. (not always)

i have tired the reset button
taken out the battery
taken out the bios battery

the laptop if out of warranty, if anyone has any suggestions please help me out!

thanks

Aj

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.en_GB.title
tonybeard
Explorer

Do you have a boot up disk or recovery disk and did you replace the cmos battery. If you are getting a prompt type in this c:scandisk/all or c:fdisk if you get A drive type a:c and the C should appear then c:scandisk/all. I suspect that by removing the cmos battery you will have to replace the command files from the fdisk bootup registry. Good luck I am sure Rich the resident expert in these matters will help.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I doubt somehow that this is a CMOS problem as you normally get some sort of error message such as ‘CMOS checksum error’, unless of course the battery is completely dead. If it is a battery problem then sometimes leaving the computer on for a few days will re-charge the battery.

The problem that you describe could be caused by any number of hardware problems but I would first check out the memory. I am not sure of the configuration of this particular model, but chances are that you have a couple of memory slots that can be accessed via a compartment on the underside. Try all permutations of a single chip in each slot followed by a re-boot.

Before carrying this out disconnect all attached devices, disconnect from AC power and remove the battery.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
cyngor
Visitor

thanks,

the laptop wont start so there is no error msg or prompt

tried the memory thing, also stripped the laptop down to nothing and the symptoms look the same. To me it looks like a system board failure, what do you guys think?

Aj

kee-lo_

Sounds like the motherboard has died

cyngor
Visitor

anyone know of anywhere that sells them?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I know of no-one in the UK that supplies Sony motherboards. Sony will of course supply and install but the cost will be in excess of £500 (probably closer to £800), so possibly more than the notebook is worth!

There is an outlet in the States but they don’t list the FX 501 as such, but maybe one of the US models has the same motherboard. Even so the cost is appox. $500 supply only!

I would suggest that you try a notebook repairer on a ‘no fix not fee’ basis. Have a look
here.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
kee-lo_

Scour eBay for an old one too