Join now - be part of our community!

Vaio Laptop fan noise?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
BrendanBlue
Visitor

Vaio Laptop fan noise?

Hello, I recently purchased a Sony Vaio VPCF12MOE Laptop and am really happy with it apart from the very loud fan noise I've noticed recently. Even now with only a webpage up the noise the laptop is making is tremendous. Apart from that I'm very happy with it and have had no other problems at all. Thanks for any help.

34 REPLIES 34
east_eden
Visitor

Well it's been a week and I have had no reply to my emails from Sony support.

This seems very odd.  My laptop is a VPCF1 purchased in December 2010.  But I just found this on the sony web site from last year and I am wondering if there is a reason for the over active fan.  Also I still can not find the right BIOS update for the F series.

Important Notification for the Sony VAIO F11 and CW2 Series

Dear Valued Sony VAIO Customer,

Sony takes pride in the quality of its products.

Recently, we became aware of a potential issue affecting certain notebooks within the VAIO VPCF11- and VPCCW2-series, available on the market in Europe since January 2010.

In rare cases, these notebook computers can overheat due to a potential malfunction of the internal temperature management system, which can lead to deformation of the keyboard or casing, as well as a potential burn hazard to the user.

If you own a VAIO notebook with model name VPCF11 or VPCCW2  , Sony recommends that you download and install a BIOS firmware update specifically designed to prevent the potential overheating.

If you have any questions or need additional assistance installing the BIOS firmware update, please contact Sony technical support for further assistance.

We take the quality of the products we sell very seriously and make every effort to ensure that the products we develop meet your expectations.

We sincerely apologise in advance for any inconvenience caused.
Thank you for using VAIO.

Sincerely,
Your VAIO Support Team

Message was edited by: east_eden

BPH888
Visitor

I'm seven emails into a conversation with Sony tech support.  They keep telling me to disable C3/C6 support, but cannot explain what C3/C6 support is.  Not willing to turn it off if it reduces battery life or system performance.  Come on Sony, get your act together!

profile.country.es_ES.title
angcasad31
Visitor

Greetings from Spain!

I have a VPCS11C5E and I can hear an annoying high frequency noise from CPU (is not fan noise. I attached a file with the sound).

I have almost thirty emails in a conversation with Sony tech support and I sent  three times my laptop to repair this sound.

They changed different parts on the device but the sound is still there... I asked them about the problem but they can't say any consistent thing... I'm going to sue Sony,  I'm very dissapointed with them.

I can't disable C3/C6 support becuase this option is not on bios settings for my model...

There is an article about C-States here - http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/611

spenlad
Visitor

Hi,

I have the same sound coming from my Vaio VPCF13C5E - the 'reversing lorry' is exactly how I described it to Sony service.

I too tried all the on-line temporary fixes, and changed the BIOS setting as instructed by Sony, but all to no avail.

The sound is linked to the speed of the cooling fan - as if at a certain level, an interference pattern is set up. The beeps occur when the fan speeds up slightly, but stop as the fan settles back down again. This fluctuation in speed is constant, and so are the beeps.

I reluctantly returned my brand new machine to Sony this week in order to get the fault fixed, and it has just arrived back today. As I suspected would happen, there is absolutely no difference to the sound.

You said you would be contacting Sony. Did you have any better luck in getting your machine fixed?

andyg_uk
Visitor

Hi guys

I'm afraid you won't get anywhere with Sony support with this issue, nor will you get any joy from higher up the chain. Sure they'll try to help and suggest fixes that 'appear' to have helped others, but the crux of it is, they don't know what the problem is (or do know but fixing it is beyond the likes of a new mainboard or the introduction of thermal padding etc).

You can explain the issue to them until you're blue in the face but it won't do any good. My expereince is a 9 month long on and off conversation over the issue. I've lost count of how many people I've spoken to in support, I've also tried the CEO and other such people in high places, but to no avail. I've had my Vaio F11 in for 2 repairs, both of which provided no fix for the whine/whistle. Oh and both repair reports suggest issues I hadn't raised, so I guess they're complety dumbfounded with the whole thing. Oh and disabling the C3/C6 support via BIOS made no difference for my F11.

With statements like...

"Every VAIO includes the most innovative technology available to give you the best possible computing experience."

and

"The VAIO way is to constantly simulate and check to ensure the best possible quality. From the first CAD designs through engineering and design verification to component treatment, engineers and designers analyse performance and fine tune until perfection is achieved."

...coupled with a £1200 price tag, the annoying whine/whistle this laptop kicks out leaves more than a bitter taste in your mouth.

Message was edited by: andyg_uk

idann1
New

Hi hiekegh,

I have a VPCF12S5E Laptop I think which is similar to yours. I have contacted Sony with the exact same problem, in fact I explained the noise in the same way as you [ It's happening right now, and its not so loud but very annoying as its quite around me]

Please can you tell me what your conclusions are from Sony, as Sony will be calling me back on monday[28th feb] to resolve it.

Ps , also I have a very white washed screen when watching dark scenes and video/TV, Sony says this is because of the nvidia drivers

profile.country.nl_BE.title
philbond07
Visitor

Hi idann1,

me too have exactly same problem, enerving fan-beep. Was Sony able to fix the problem?

Message was edited by: philbond07

profile.country.pt_PT.title
jorge81
Visitor

Hi

I have the same problema with the " reversing lorry sound " and i went to the  store where i brought my Vaio and the expose unit makes the same......any news from Sony Support?

My vaio it´s a VPCF13L0E\H

Cumps....

Message was edited by: jorge81

profile.country.es_ES.title
angcasad31
Visitor

Hello!

<profanity removed by moderator> happens! And sometimes, it is all over my head

Sony Client Support has my laptop from one month ago... Fourth attempt! It's on their hands and they are not able to tell me what the hell is happening..

"The engineers have your device... we have to wait..." but I need what is mine!

I think that they are trying to finish my patience ... but they wont able to.

grrrr

Greetings! :angry:

benboy22
Visitor

hi everyone, ive just got the new vpcl22z1e with the i7 cpu, and its a nitemare, the fan noise is horrible, even when the pc is idle and i have nothing open or running, ive only got to open my e-mail and it start to run faster and louder.....

Ive had no constructive feedback from sony, so i took it upon myself to contact Intel, it seem and i dont know if its the same for laptops, but on the L series, i was told the cpu is embedded on the motherboard, and does not use an intel fan, its a sony fan.

So Sony, its no good ignoring the fact that the fans you are installing are rubbish, and it needs to be sorted out.

If i dont get any constructive feed back soon i will be sending it back for a full refund......