Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio VGX - XL301 graphics card upgrade and other upgrades

smcghie
Visitor

Sony Vaio VGX - XL301 graphics card upgrade and other upgrades

Hi - this is my first post of the Vaio forum. I have had a Sony Vaio VGX - XL301 for around two years now and have enjoyed it (with a few glitches along the way!). I am now thinking about upgrading some of the components (something I am thinking of with some trepidation not being too techie!).

I believe (although am not 100%) that to upgrade the graphics card I will need a low profile one. Can anyone recommend a compatible graphics card to replace the standard Nvidia Geforce 7600 GTL GPU? It seems to be getting a little long in the tooth and I have noticed the computer lagging when switching from TV to other computer programs etc. I would also like to try out some the latest games at better than lowest settings!

In addition, and slightly off topic, does anyone know when Freeview is due to be available in HD and what DVB tuners to get? I did read that HD would be available at some point without the need for Freesat...?

Whilst I'm at it, how do I replace the DVD drive with a blue ray one? What model and where to buy it?

Lastly, the processor. The XL301 comes with the E6300 - is this upgradeable and if so how much benefit can be seen?

Many thanks in advance for any help and advice

0 REPLIES 0