Join now - be part of our community!

Second PCI slot in VGC-VA1

Deepthought
Visitor

Second PCI slot in VGC-VA1

Hi, just purchased the VGC-VA1. I'd like to add a second DVB-T card but can't find any info on how to access the second (vacant) PCI slot. The user manual details accessing the memory and HDD bays but not the PCI slots. Anyone have any ideas or knowledge? Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
Deepthought
Visitor

FYI: Logged a case with e-support and they have informed me that Sony DO NOT provide support for accessing the second PCI slot on the VGC-VA1 :slight_frown:

This means that there is no 'user' guide to installing additional PCI cards into the VA1 thus there is no user PCI expansion possible with the VA1. This is disappointing as there is a slot there and most reviews and advanced marketing material indicated that the extra PCI slot was a good plus point in favour of the VA1. (Check out the T3 review link on the UK Sonystyle page for the VGC-VA1 as an example)

I'm not ruling out being able to find my own way into the PCI bay on the VA1 but might have to keep a record of which screw goes where!
:slight_smile:

babysmile
Visitor

hi hi.. congrads u bought this VA1 - Really expensive buddy but hence the technology.. ( unless u got something cheap deal then let me know ).

I also aware about the second PCI slot.. I can't help u at this moment because I dun have this machine at the moment. Or if u staying near with my area then I can check it out..

That PCI slot is very useful specially if can put extra graphics card..

Deepthought
Visitor

Hi Babysmile, thanks for the comments.

Yes I did get a deal on the purchase which helped bring the cost down a little. I have to say I'm very pleased with the VGC-VA1 and over all I think it's fair value for the money. For my needs, a second PC/TV for the den, it's an ideal solution.

The quibble I'd have is that considering the cost of DVB-T cards and that most people will be using it for the MCE functions, I'm sure Sony could include a second tuner card or have it as a optional extra. Naturally, supported access to the second PCI slot would be nice! :slight_smile:

On the subject of the PCI slot, I can confirm that I was able to access the PCI slot after I put aside a couple of hours at the weekend and carefully worked my way into the VGC-VA1 chassis. I wouldn't recommend anyone unfamilar with PC H/W attempt it but apart from needing to keep track of about 30 screws and the need for a steady hand, it is achievable.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I know, I'm disapointed in Sony's roll out of DVB on their VAIOs, I wish I had waited before asking for the RA104

Deepthought
Visitor

Hi Kee-lo. I share your frustration that Sony have been so slow to adopt digital tuners in the VAIOs. I was delighted and relieved that the VGC-VA1 was announced with DVB-T support. The UK government has an agressive plan for switching over to all digital broadcasting so I'm amazing Sony and the other big manufacturers have been dragging their heels releasing new kit that includes DVB-T cards as standard. This is especially frustrating as most DVB-T cards worth their salt are capable of analog and digital reception.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Yes, it's about time Sony said no more to analogue cards and made DVB the standard, then we can get both, though digital terrestrial is better for reception

babysmile
Visitor

Cool buddy, glad to hear that u have manage out to open the PCI slot.. yippie.. 30 nuts? I still remember when i open my Viao M1 myself and end up 20 something nuts... a lots of nuts actually.. hehe

ohmygod
Visitor

I got my Va1 today after reading on pc world site that it had an available ~PCI slot. However this is not the case, don`t really want to take it back though because so far, im really pleased with it.
Maybe someone could post a guide how to get into the chasis?

Ok. worked out how to get in, you can only fit small pci cards as there is a fan in the way.
Also, to add a second hard drive, you need to enter the same area as the pci slots as this is where the sata connector is. there is also an audio connector there (for a soundcard?)

AndrewJID
Visitor

Hi there,

I'm thinking of upgrading my VA1 but have a question - how is the graphics card linked to the machine? - presumably by a connector on the card yes?

As you've had the case off...

a) Do you have any example images of the inside of yours you could post up as it would help me a great deal...

and

b) Do you have any tips / pointers for anyone in terms of stuff to be aware of if they want to remove the case..