Join now - be part of our community!

RAM upgrade FS215s

paul_codd
Visitor

RAM upgrade FS215s

Hiya, I am thinking of upgrading the RAM on my vaio. It comes shipped with 512mb split into 2 slots (each 256) which is a bit irritating when it comes to upgrading.

Anyway. On the website, it says maximum memory 1024mb.
Does this mean the max I can have is 1gb, or that the maximum each slot can have is 1gb (I have 2 slots)

Many thanks,

15 REPLIES 15
Kris1990
Visitor

the max for two slots added together is 1 gb so you would have 512mb in each slot.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Paul and welcome to the forum.

Also, as the memory doesn’t have to be paired you could upgrade to 768 MB by changing just one module.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
duralex
Visitor

hallo everibody,
i have an fs 215B and i´m also thinkingg of upgrading my ram (it's too slow).
Must i have two 512 ram in each slot?:smileygrin:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Duralex and welcome to Club Vaio.

If you visit the Crucial site and use the system analyser this will give you your present memory configuration.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
duralex
Visitor

Hi Rich912,

thank you for taking the time to help a rookie.:smileyblush:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

You’re welcome duralex, we are all rookies to start with but in a few months time you may find that you are able to offer advice to others on this forum.
Stick around, it is a very friendly place, and you don’t need to know a jot about computers to join in with the general chats:smileywink:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
paul_codd
Visitor

Cheers guys. Also would a BIOS upgrade change this? I read somewhere It could.

Another thing, Why is the BIOS on this laptop so tiny, there's not even an option to see what the temperature of the CPU is. the only changable thing is the time lol. Am I missing something?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

No, a BIOS update will make no difference to the amount of RAM that you can install as this is dependant on the architecture of the mother board, plus the only BIOS that you can safely install comes from Sony.

Sony, in their wisdom, have disabled most of the useful options in the BIOS, so no, you are not missing anything (apart from these options).

To monitor CPU temperature download MobileMeter.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Wilkie
Visitor

It's strange! in CRUCIAL site upgrade 512 Mb is about 70 euro!instead in italian sony-shop is about 270 euro!:smileynot_talking: :anguished:
It's crazy!Why this different?It's only fot the brand??:smileythinking: