winstons
Visitor

"Hardware Malfunction" Error Msg - FE21H

On a 2-day-old FE21H the following msg appeared on a blue screen:

*** Hardware Malfunction ***

Call your hardware vendor for support

NMI: Parity Check / Memory Parity Error

*** The system has halted ***

I called Sony Support who did not know what was the cause of the problem.

They had me run the hardware tests which found nothing amiss.

As it is an insurance replacement, it was eventually returned to the "PC Team" of their supplier, who could not find the problem, either.

Before it (reluctantly) goes off to Sony, has anyone seen this error - or knows what is the likely cause, please?

It looks suspiciously like a RAM fault - are there any extended RAM tests available?

No changes have been made to the hardware - an ethernet router and wireless USB mouse were connected.

All Windows updates had been installed - all the Sony updates that would install, had been installed.

All other software installed was the same as used on the ill-fated PCG-GR214MP that the FE21H replaced - and was either installed from original discs and updated, or a current download, e.g. Firefox.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Winston s and welcome to Club Vaio.

Have a look at this Microsoft Knowledgebase Article

There are several things to try including a RAM Diagnostic to download.

:wink:

winstons
Visitor

Thanks, Blencogo, for your prompt and helpful reply.

I've checked out the suggested possible causes at the link, and they are either ok, or do not apply; the RAM test ran all night, but hasn't found anything so far.

So - it looks like a month's holiday in France for the little lemon.

Thank you for your help.

peter4654
Visitor

Winston, have you tried going into the BIOS screen ( F2 on boot up? ) and checking to see if the reported ram is the same amount as installed. If it's different, try swapping and changing the sticks of ram around

winstons
Visitor

Thank you. Yes, the RAM is recognised ok.

It's just that when it's brought out of sleep, it sometimes goes to the 'Hardware Malfunction' screen mentioned above.

Oh well, let's see what Sony come up with... "Wrong kind of leaves", I expect.

Thank you for your help.