Join now - be part of our community!

Installing a new soundcard

cattyb
Visitor

Installing a new soundcard

Hello,

I've got a VAIO VGN-NR10E/S and I think some video editing software I have isn't working because my internal soundcard isn't good enough.

Does anyone have a good idea about a good additional soundcard I can buy/download?

It's so I can use Adobe Premiere on my laptop.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

You could buy one of the Creative Soundblaster USB or PCMCIA soundcards from this site if you wish but I would be surprised if the on-board soundcard isn't up to the job.

What error message are you getting? If could just be a warning that you cannot record live sound because Sony disables the 'Stereo Mix' function on all soundcards in Vaios running Vista. You probably would not use this function anyway. This would not stop you recording via the microphone or from a saved audio track on your Vaio.

:thinking:

cattyb
Visitor

The error message I get when using Adobe Premiere (an old version 1.0) is:

"The currently installed soundcard driver does not support Direct Sound
Input. Recording audio is not possible"

I checked that my soundcard is installed on the program and it is. So I thought the problem was that it wasn't good enough.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I wonder if it is because the VGN-NR10E does not have a built in microphone.

You do not have a device for recording direct sound fitted as standard to your Vaio.

Try borrowing a microphone and plug it into the 3.5mm microphone jack. This will give you a method of recording direct sound and perhaps the error message will stop.

Perhaps .....................

:thinking: :thinking: