Join now - be part of our community!

Goes into sleep mode and struggles to wake up?!

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Tia1973
Visitor

Goes into sleep mode and struggles to wake up?!

Hello all,

Apologies in advance if my 'newbie' contact demonstrates very poor techincal capability...!

I've had my my Sony laptop - VPCEE3E0E - since June 2010 and it uses Window 7 and I tend to use it wireless. To date I have not had any problems with it.  It's used primiarily for using the internet, writing reports articles and accessing email.  Yesterday it was working fine and I closed the lid to do something else and when I returned to continue what I was doing the green power light was on but the screen was black and nothing was happening.

I tried plugging into the mains but nothing.  I then took the battery out and left it for 15-20 mins and tried to start it again and nothing.  I decided to leave the battery off overnight and see if this would resolve the situation but again, the power light came on but that was all.  I moved it into a different room, plugged it back into the mains and hey presto it started up fine.  The battery icon is showing full.   Everything appears to be working fine until it goes into sleep mode.  Sometimes it will come back on as normal by a quick press of the power button but in the main it appears suspended in sleep and I land up have to turn the computer on and off a number of times before it decides to reboot.  This is frustrating as the the session I was initially working on has gone -rather then resuming as it normally does.

Problem seems to be random too as sometimes I can put the screen down and walk away from it for a short period of time and when I open it the power light is flashing orange and by touching a key, it resumes.  Other times it needs completely rebooting and it can take a number of goes of doing this before it gets started..  If I leave the screen open, it has more of a tendency to go into sleep and require rebooting.

The only thing I have noticed is that battery life seems to be shorter than usual even after it has been mains charged.  I'm also worried that perhaps I'm 'over charging' the battery (is this possible?) as I tend to plug the laptop back into the mains even if the battery is only half full.

If anyone can give me any advice, tips, thoughs etc I'd be really grateful.

Many thanks all.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Tia1973
Visitor

Hey,
I just wanted to update this thread now that the problem with my Sony Vaio notepad (VPCEE3E0E) has been resolved.  It is so annoying when you find a thread that reads just like your own problems and then once the fault is sorted, nobody feeds back, and so you are left still scratching your head.
The problem did appear to be temporarily resolved once I reset the battery etc but it didn't last.  The laptop  kept continually going into sleep/hibernate and then wouldn't come back on.  I took it to a recommended independent computer repair shop in town who did some diagnostic tests etc and said that there was a dry joint on the motherboard.  They have now run the board over a solder bath and soldered another part (not sure which I'm afraid) and everything is back up and running fine.  The job was all done in-house and only took a morning to do at a cost of £70.00.  (Much cheaper & quicker then Comet who quoted me £79.99 just for it to be sent away and looked (parts and additional labour not inc) at with a turnaround of approx 7 days) 

Hope this helps others.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Tia1973
Visitor

Hey,
I just wanted to update this thread now that the problem with my Sony Vaio notepad (VPCEE3E0E) has been resolved.  It is so annoying when you find a thread that reads just like your own problems and then once the fault is sorted, nobody feeds back, and so you are left still scratching your head.
The problem did appear to be temporarily resolved once I reset the battery etc but it didn't last.  The laptop  kept continually going into sleep/hibernate and then wouldn't come back on.  I took it to a recommended independent computer repair shop in town who did some diagnostic tests etc and said that there was a dry joint on the motherboard.  They have now run the board over a solder bath and soldered another part (not sure which I'm afraid) and everything is back up and running fine.  The job was all done in-house and only took a morning to do at a cost of £70.00.  (Much cheaper & quicker then Comet who quoted me £79.99 just for it to be sent away and looked (parts and additional labour not inc) at with a turnaround of approx 7 days) 

Hope this helps others.