Join now - be part of our community!

Fn Key utility install requirements - SZ2XP/C Windows 7

Icarus99
Visitor

Fn Key utility install requirements - SZ2XP/C Windows 7

Hi

I have a SZ2XP/C and I have installed Windows 7 on it with no problems (fresh install). I want to get the function keys working on it as a minimum.

I have tried various versions of vista compatible utilities below:

Sony Shared Library
Sony Utility
Setting Utility Series
Event Service
Power Management Service

The sound function keys work fine but the brightness controls only change 1 bar from full (on lcd) and it makes no difference to the brightness. Also in Power management I am not given an option to set the brightness level manually as I could before in XP.

Unfortunately there are no Vista drivers offered for my laptop model on Sony Drivers site. I am probably using the wrong versions for my laptop or I have missed something out thats needed.

Would appreciate the correct versions of the utilities to use for windows 7 and the correct install order as I believe it matters. I have restarted the services and rebooted laptop to no avail.

Hope I have duplicated anyone elses post, search is down on forums.

Thanks in advance.

Icarus

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Icarus,

I think we have had this before but I can't remember if a solution was found.

If I were you, I would try the Vista upgrade Utilities for the VGN-SZ3XP.

They need to be installed in the following order: -

1. Sony Utils DLL -7.0.00.11210
2. Sony Shared Library -3.0.00.10180
3. VAIO Event Service -3.0.00.13110
4. Setting Utility Series -2.0.00.11270

be prepared to install this sequence more than once.

You may wish to install some of the other Utilities. The nVidia driver is probably a good idea as it can influence the brightness keys.

SZ3 Vista Upgrade Drivers and Utilities

:wink:

Icarus99
Visitor

Hi Blencogo

I uninstalled the utilities I had tried along with the (latest) NVIDIA drivers.

Downloaded as recommended from http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/downloads/updates/updates.asp?site=voe_en_GB_cons&c=0&s=VGN-SZ&m=2380...

Reinstalled

Nvidia Driver
1. Sony Utils DLL -7.0.00.11210
2. Sony Shared Library -3.0.00.10180
3. VAIO Event Service -3.0.00.13110
4. Setting Utility Series -2.0.00.11270

Restarted and worked perfectly FIRST TIME. :smileygrin:

I assume I can use the drivers from the same page as well without any trouble, although I don't think any others are really needed. I have not installed Vaio update as there won't be any updates anyway for windows 7. I have not installed the switch utilities as they seem to work fine anyway.

Cheers

Icarus

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Icarus.

A good result - well done!

I would expect most of the Utilities and Drivers to work. Most models in a series are usually very similar and only differ in the choice of processor, hard disc and graphics chip - none of which need different drivers or utilities.

What is Windows7 like? Most reports have been good to date.

We can't be far away from the RC Version.

:thinking:

Icarus99
Visitor

Hi Blencogo

I am an IT Chief Architect/ CTO by trade so once I knew which version of the drivers to use the rest was a piece of cake.

I am using Windows 7 as a main as it is very stable and in no way a resource hog like vista was (I never bothered with Vista). I think it is very close to release and will probably be this year potentially. It is pretty much feature complete and all the drivers are working perfectly, I think that Microsoft is in the final bug fixing and optimisation of the OS. Maybe a few more small features and tweaks but nothing major.

I use 7077 as it is the best version right now the 7100+ versions have nothing new they are just on a different dev track.

All the anti virus programs work perfectly (I use Kaspersky as it is the best - OEM of course £10 per year instead of £50 on there website).

I have not come across a piece of software that doesnt work with it yet (within limits of age obviously).

Essentially the development of Windows 7 has been quick as most of the hard work and lessons were learned with Vista, similar to what happenend when XP came out as the lessons had been learned with Windows 2000.

When I purchased the laptop I got it with the VAT off as I got it duty free on the way to spain on holiday (saved me £300 or so).

BTW: The fan is a bit noisy on stamina mode is there a way to fix that (not a big deal though) is it a bug perhaps or a missing app, I must admit it could need another fan clean. Always the problem with laptops as the fans get gunked up over time.

Icarus