Join now - be part of our community!

Clean Install on VGN-FS195VP

profile.country.en_GB.title
imtansar
Visitor

Clean Install on VGN-FS195VP

Hi,

I have a Vaio VGN-FS195VP on which I have tried installing my own copy of  Windows XP Pro after deleting what came with the notebook.  In doing so, I faced few issues which I believe some of you may be able to help deal with.

I inserted windows XP CD and booted from the CD drive.  During installation, I was prompted to select on which partition I would like installation, I chose C.   I could not delete the partition of hard drive on which sony stores the directories for recovery.  I would like to have that space back as I can do with more space on C drive.  Can anyone help me with this?

Secondly,

Following other comments here on the forum I proceeded.  After completing the installation, I inserted CD on which I earlier downloaded all the drivers for my model from sony's website.  I created C:\drivers and copied those files in them.  I read here in the forum they have to be installed in specific order which I tried.  I clicked on zip files and extracted them in c:\dirvers folder.  Do I have to do anything further with them?  I have found  setup.exe files in most of those extracted directories.  Do I need to click and install each of them?  Apologies, sounds a bit daft but I am so confused...

I have extracted these in the following order:

Original chipset driver, original sony notebook controler driver, original utilities package, full drivers pacakage, orginal video driver (it has two), original audio driver, original modem driver, original network driver, original wireless LAN driver, original USB mouse driver, original memory stick driver.

I am still left with original touchpad driver and original monitor driver, I have not extracted them yet as there is no mention on sony website in which order they would go.

I  do not want to install any of Sony's extra stuff.  I assume in that case I just need to update windows with SP3 directly or do I have to install first SP1, SP2 and then SP3?  After this I will have to download microsoft KB835221 in order for audio to work.

Please help!

On second thought's I am thinking to re-start the entire installation in the following order:

1) Install Windows XP

2) Install service pack 3

3) Install KB KB835221

4) Install original full drivers package

5) Install Sony Utilities, Sony Shared Library, Vaio Event Service

6) Install the remaining utilities

I still need help on how to reclaim the hard disk space after deleting the partition on which sony original recovery system is stored.  Also, do I have to click on setup.exe files on each driver application after extracting in C:\drivers.

Could you tech savoy guys help me.

Thanks

Imtansar

Message was edited by: imtansar

Message was edited by: imtansar

Tags (2)
1 REPLY 1
profile.country.en_GB.title
imtansar
Visitor

Help me out please:smileycry: