Join now - be part of our community!

***Booting from SD Card slot for new Vaios***

royhuang
Visitor

***Booting from SD Card slot for new Vaios***

For anyone that have 2005+ model Vaios that come with memory stick and SD card slots, has anyone been able to get their Vaios to boot via either memory card? I have a TX1XP and would love to do so. Thanks in advance for your help.

8 REPLIES 8
William
Visitor

I don't have a 2005+ Vaio but I am pretty sure Sony have not made a laptop yet that will boot as you describe.

A 3.5" SONY USB floppy drive is the only device that will.

royhuang
Visitor

Thanks. There is a SD card boot utility from Toshiba for their laptops but I a bit afraid to see exactly what it does. I was hoping that there were some sort of BIOS upgrade to allow even Sony Memory Stick or USB--which I don't think exists either--boot-ups!

KyriakosP
Visitor

I tried to boot acronis from the SD without luck... i don;t think that is really usefull because SDs have a slow transfer rate....

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Really the SD card should have just a program which will restore, not a full image on it as it's got slow transfer

KingGeorge
Visitor

I haven't tried it yet, but acronis can make a bootable sony memo stick using its "Bootable Media Builder".

William
Visitor

I haven't tried it yet, but acronis can make a bootable sony memo stick using its "Bootable Media Builder".

Its all very well making a Bootable Memory stick, but how are you going to get your Vaio notebook to boot from it.

You can't I am afraid!

royhuang
Visitor

darn. i was hoping that with my 2 gig high-speed Panasonic SD card (originally from my digital camera) that I would be able to take advantage having very close to 20 Mbit transfer rates that it would suffice in speed.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

20 megabit, not megabytes, this means something like 2400k/sec or around 2MB/sec

Think about USB, 480mbits, that's around 40MB/sec