Join now - be part of our community!

Adding an extra hard disk

profile.country.en_GB.title
gatherc
Visitor

Adding an extra hard disk

I'm running out of space on my Desktop Vaio RZ424 and need to add another disk. I've had the cover off and there seems to be a spare bay with a connector ribbon coming from the existing disk. Is it a simple task to add another disk drive? I've tried asking the support team but they simply say they do not offer support on this issue. If this is possible, can anyone help by telling me what type of disk I need and where I can access fitting instructions etc.:smileyconfused:

3 REPLIES 3
William
Visitor

In theory it should be a straightforward job. Yes it will fit in that spare bay and yes that existing ribbon cable will plug straight on. I suspect there is a power cable nearby too.

You may need to check the jumper setting on the existing one to make sure it is configured as a "Master" and configure the new one as "Slave". Jumper configurations will be shown on the Hard Disk casing.

Any of these will do the trick (remember if you buy an OEM disk you will need to source 4 suitable screws for fixing it into the bay. Easily sourced from any small or large computer shop.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?rb=12847438406&action=c2hvd3N1YmNhdGVnb3J5X3BhZ2U...

Just make sure the interface is IDE/EIDE and not SATA B4 you buy.

kee-lo_

Yes, very easy to do.

You need an IDE hard disk (which range from £20-200 depending on size)

tonybeard
Explorer

You might also consider a Maxtor or Seagate portable external hard drive. Why restrict yourself?
Check this