Join now - be part of our community!

TV CAN'T FIND LAPTOP TO VIEW FILES

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
imfaefife
Visitor

TV CAN'T FIND LAPTOP TO VIEW FILES

HI CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP, I HAVE A BRAVIA KDL 40EX713U AND THIS IS SET UP TO THE INTERNET USING A DEVOLO POWERLINE. THE CONNECTION WORKS FINE FOR YOUTUBE,IPLAYER, SKY NEWS ETC. THE PROBLEM I AM HAVING IS THAT IT CAN'T FIND MY LAPTOP TO STREAM PHOTOS MUSIC ETC TO MY TV.I HAVE GONE THROUGH MANY TUTORIALS TO NO AVAIL. I AM USING WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER 11 AND VISTA HOME BASIC. I HAVE CHANGED MY MEDIA SHARING SETTING AND THE LAPTOP CAN SEE THE BRAVIA. BUT EVERY TIME I TRY TO UPDATE SEVER LIST ON TV IT SAYS SEVERS CANNOT BE RECOGNISED AND CHECK CONNECTIONS.

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED AS I HAVE BEEN TRYING FOR A FEW DAYS NOW

18 REPLIES 18
imfaefife
Visitor

Sorry about the caps, thought it might make my problem look more important haha.   Ok so I get it that the tv doesn't have integrated wifi and that I'm not using the Sony dongle. The tv is however receiving all the Internet features e.g. YouTube, BBC iplayer etc through the devolo powerline.  I might be wrong but my understanding of a home network was that as long as all your devices are using the same router, they should be able to find each other. My tv is connected to router through powerline and my laptop, Xbox, iPhone are all connected via wifi. Are you saying I still need the Sony dongle to share all my files via windows media player. It's just I had TGE same problem with Xbox but as soon as laptop was hardwired to router, it was able to stream files. I also have an app for the iPhone which allows me to wirelessly show iPhone photos to tv.  I thought the problem was with my laptop or router settings.

Catmambo
Contributor

No problem. JFYI, CAPS on the web = shouting, so best used sparingly :wink:

Your network assumption is correct, its just you'd mentioned you were trying to use wireless. Frankly I'd stick with the homeplugs as we'll get much better bandwidth and connection. You could always get a switch to connect all your devices via the homeplug. I use one of these - http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=edimax+switch#q=edimax+switch&hl=en&prmd=i...

Thanks

imfaefife
Visitor

Cheers for the link, looks interesting. I am still a little confused. Should I be able to view files from laptop on tv without having laptop hardwired to router or do I need Sony dongle to do this.

Catmambo
Contributor

If you Laptop is connected ( either wired or wirelessly) to your router ( on the same network) and so is your TV, then you should be able to see them. Make sure you Serviio or some DLNA software installed on the PC so you can share the files easily.

thanks

kenny72bufc
Visitor

how do you know which network the tv is connected to?  

Catmambo
Contributor

*Most* homes would only have one network. If you are connecting via Ethernet/homeplug then you re plugging it directly into your router so it has direct access to the web. If connecting via wireless, the TV will scan fr available networks and you will then have to select your network and type in the WEP/WPA password.

I think the video I linked to higher up explains this process in a bit more detail..

thanks

kenny72bufc
Visitor

My TV is ethernet connection, just wondering how do i know if my phone's wifi network is the same network.  

Catmambo
Contributor

The Ethernet Connection doesn't need a name as it simply connects directly. Wifi needs whats called an SSID, which is basically the name of the network your phone connects to when you surf on wifi. This name can be anything but will either be the default name from your ISP (e.g. BT Home Hub) or if you have configured it yourself (e.g. Kenny's Network).

So if your phone is connecting to the same modem/router that your TV is ethenet'ed to, then it should be fine..

Hope this helps.

profile.country.en_IE.title
pod2011
Visitor

Hi Ive had same issue spent nearly a week tryn to sort it finally what i have to do is

set up:  tv wired to router laptop wireless

go to network adaptors disable wireless adaptor then go to properties of it , shareing tab untick allow other to share through  ok then enable adaptor and the tv picks it up.

i have to do this every time!

i think if you go to properties of tcp ip4 and set the ip of the router  it might sort it two havent had time to try it yet

if theres no shareing tab onwireless adaptor go toyour local adaptor and do the above to it , the share tab appears over in the wireless adaptors

hope this helps