Join now - be part of our community!

TV CAN'T FIND LAPTOP TO VIEW FILES

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
imfaefife
Visitor

TV CAN'T FIND LAPTOP TO VIEW FILES

HI CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP, I HAVE A BRAVIA KDL 40EX713U AND THIS IS SET UP TO THE INTERNET USING A DEVOLO POWERLINE. THE CONNECTION WORKS FINE FOR YOUTUBE,IPLAYER, SKY NEWS ETC. THE PROBLEM I AM HAVING IS THAT IT CAN'T FIND MY LAPTOP TO STREAM PHOTOS MUSIC ETC TO MY TV.I HAVE GONE THROUGH MANY TUTORIALS TO NO AVAIL. I AM USING WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER 11 AND VISTA HOME BASIC. I HAVE CHANGED MY MEDIA SHARING SETTING AND THE LAPTOP CAN SEE THE BRAVIA. BUT EVERY TIME I TRY TO UPDATE SEVER LIST ON TV IT SAYS SEVERS CANNOT BE RECOGNISED AND CHECK CONNECTIONS.

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED AS I HAVE BEEN TRYING FOR A FEW DAYS NOW

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Catmambo
Contributor

Checkout this video. Should make things a bit clearer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwtBQJadBL8&feature=feedlik_more

Your TV doesn't need to be wireless for the smartphone app to work, simply needs to be on the same network as far as I'm aware.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
kenny72bufc
Visitor

Are you using wired connections?  I have a 46EX723 and it seems the only way I can connect is when laptop, tv and router are connected using cables.  I don't have a wireless adapter for my Bravia but my laptop is usually wireless connection.  On a similar note, I'm assuming I need a Bravia wireless adapter for the smartphone remote media app to work???

Catmambo
Contributor

Checkout this video. Should make things a bit clearer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwtBQJadBL8&feature=feedlik_more

Your TV doesn't need to be wireless for the smartphone app to work, simply needs to be on the same network as far as I'm aware.

Bravia55HX

Hi Catmambo,

the video link interested me as it suggests the use of Serviio, i have looked at this and found that Samsung, LG, and Panasonic using this server are able to display .srt subtitle files using the appropriate profile, do you know if this is also true for  Sony Bravia sets?,

thanks.

Catmambo
Contributor

Possibly - never really played around with subtitles, but Serviio is for me my favourite DLNA client which is why we recommend them in the video. I'm looking at how we can improve the DLNA functionality at the moment...

kenny72bufc
Visitor

I've tried everything to get the remote media app on my phone to recognise my Bravia but all i ever get is "An unregistered device was not found"  message.  Very annoying!!

mstaniak
Explorer

Check your laptop network profile (Home network, Public, media sharing etc.) and firewall settings.

Switch firewall temporarily off and check if streaming's still not working...

Good luck

Catmambo
Contributor

I'd update the firmware on the TV, then do a factory reset - that normally flushes any glitches out. No known issues with it as I'm sure we would have heard about them on here by now... :wink:

imfaefife
Visitor

THANKS FOR REPLIES. I'VE SORTED PROBLEM(sort of). ALL THE SETTINGS ON MY LAPTOP ARE CORRECT AND MEDIA PLAYER IS UP TO DATE ETC. I WATCHED ALL THE INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS AND READ THROUGH LOADS OF FORUMS BUT COULD NOT FIND A FIX. I GAVE UP AND PHONED THE GEEK SQUAD AND SPOKE TO THEM FOR 2 HOURS. THEY WENT THROUGH ROUTER AND FIREWALL SETTING ETC BUT WE STILL COULD NOT GET TV TO FIND LAPTOP. AS SOON AS WE HARDWIRED LAOTOP TO ROUTER IT WORKED INSTANTLY. SO MY PROBLEM IS SOLVED IN TGE FACT I CAN STREAM FROM WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER TO TV.  I JUST CAN'T DO IT WIRELESSLY. THIS HAD A COUPLE OF THE GEEK SQUAD AGENTS STUMPED AS TO WHY THIS WAS HAPPENING AND THE FAULT IS NOT WITH THE TV AS I HAD THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM WITH MY XBOX FINDING THE ROUTER FOR STREAMING FROM MEDIA PLAYER, WHEN IT WORKED FINE FOR XBOX LIVE AND ONLINE GAMING ETC.  IF ANYONE KNOWS WHY THIS IS HAPPENING AND HAS A SOLUTION FOR DOING IT WIRELESSLY, PLEASE REPLY ON THIS THREAD.   CHEERS

Catmambo
Contributor

Hey imfaefife - do turn off Caps, it makes your messages hard to read...

This TV doesn't have integrated wifi so you'd need to use the Sony wifi dongle and not a 3rd party solution if you want to connect it wirelessly. Assuming you have the Sony dongle, sounds like you have a flakey router if you are having problems with other devices. Maybe get your ISP to swap it out?