Join now - be part of our community!

picking up wrong channels

profile.country.en_GB.title
midcat
Visitor

picking up wrong channels

we have a Bravia KDL26U2000 which picks up channels from the wrong transmitter, We also have another Sony tv plus one further set; we have 3 different aerials and cabling; all the aerials point in the same direction and we have tried installing the set on all 3 aerial points but the 26U2000 always picks up a different transmitter input to the other 2 (we get Central on them but Look North on the 26U2000). Also we always ALWAYS get "no information available" on the EPG, especially for BBC channels.. Does anyone have any solution for getting the set to pick up the right input please ?

4 REPLIES 4
gofrost

Different sets have different freeview receivers plus you've got 3 different feeds , if you're close to 2 freeview areas you can get both signals from different transmitters.Have a look at the epg and see if you've got any channels in the 800 range, this will show that the tv is picking up both signals from 2 transmitters . I've got 2 sony tv's from 2010 and 2011 connected to the same aerial the older model picks different programmes to the newer one because of different receivers.If as you state you cannot get BBC channels i would look to the condition of your aerials and cabling as this may have an effect on the signal received.

midcat
Visitor

thanks for the reply, the set is oldish so the receiver may be the problem.. is there a possible solution other than buying a new set? 

(re: BBC, we do  get the channels but no programme info on the EPG which is really just a frustration rather than a problem. )

Clem_Dye
Explorer

Possibly. You can use something called a bandpass filter. For example, you might receive transmissions from two overlapping areas -- one transmits in group A, the other group B. Group B is correct for your location. In that case, you'd insert a group B bandpass filter in the cable connecting your aerial to your TV -- that will allow B group signal through, but not A. These are plug-in devices and generally work well in suppressing unwanted channels, or making them weak enough so that those unwanted ones get pushed into the 800 channel range. Getting the right filter, will depend on knowing from waht transmitters you're receiving transmissions from. Sites like Wolfbane can help.

I use these at my location and they work reasonably well.

If you can post more information, it may be possible to help further.

Clem

Message was edited by: Clem_Dye

Corrected a typo.

midcat
Visitor

Happy New Year Clem_Dye and All !

thankyou for the reply.  we are in the midlands (Leicestershire) picking up Look North on the problem set and Central on the other sets. I think the Central transmiter is located at Lichfield, no idea where the Look North signal comes from. I have had a look at wolfbane as suggested but it's a bit over my head - pardon the pun.!