Join now - be part of our community!

How to get HDMI input (Sky HD+ box) to be default when TV switched on?

profile.country.GB.title
diatomdeb
New

How to get HDMI input (Sky HD+ box) to be default when TV switched on?

We have a new Sony Bravia KDL-37EX503 and a new Sky HD+ box connected to the HDMI4 input on the TV. When I switch on the TV either using the Sony remote (green power button) or the Sky remote ('TV' + circular power button + 'Sky') the TV defaults to showing a digital terrestrial TV channel, at the moment ITV3. How do I get it to automatically show the HDMI4 input (the Sky box) by default when I switch it on?

I apologise if this is a very obvious question but I've read the i-manual and looked on this website and can't figure it out.  I can use the Sony remote to change the input to show the Sky box but some members of the household can't, being technophobes! :thinking: Plus it's a pain to do this every time.

Any help gratefully received, many thanks!

Deb.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.en_GB.title
mxb...
Visitor

Hi Deb,

I can't tell you how to do this yet as I am in the same boat as you.

I have just purchased a 32EX503 for the wedding anniversary of family members.

Like yours they also are not technically minded so they just to watch their Sky box, and don't want to mess around switching input ports.

It's a shame that SONY have opted for a miniscule paper Manual and the horrible onscreen iManual !!!

For me one of their big selling points was the comprehensive paper Manual that you got with their products.

As for the Remote Control, it took me 10 mins to open up the battery compartment, and that was after I had watched a video from an online store showing how to do just that !

What is wrong with the usual little hinged cover ??

Also what is the logic of the standby button on the BACK of the remote ?

Apart from that It is up to SONY's usual high standard of picture and sound, the Freeview EPG is much better than on my 3 year old SONY !

I hope when I set it up in my family members home in a couple of weeks that I can work out how to do it....I am hoping it is similar to how I did my 3 year old SONY.

If I can I'll post a message here.

Cheers,

mxb...

profile.country.GB.title
diatomdeb
New

Hi mxb,

Totally agree about the manual, it is not very detailed at all and the iManual not especially helpful for the fine details of setup! However having had our Bravia for about a month now and lots of visitors over Christmas we are really delighted with the quality of the TV, picture quality is superb especially on HD channels and the look of the TV in the room is nice.

Re. the HDMI input problem, after some trial and error I worked out that as long as the Sky box is switched on BEFORE the TV (i.e. green light showing on the Sky box), then when you turn on the TV it will automatically switch to the correct input and display Sky TV. If you have any other HDMI input thing also turned on it seems to default to the last one used so I would advise they put to standby other things that use HDMI or AV inputs, when not in use.

Then, using the Sky remote only, which is programmed to work the TV as well, I press the top 3 buttons in this sequence: 'Sky', 'TV', 'On button', 'Sky' and this turns on the Sky box, then the TV, then back to the Sky button so you can control the Sky box.

Hope this is helpful and good luck!

Deb.

Can anyone from Sony actually respond to this question?

How do you configure a Bravia KDL to default to HDMI input???

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

To answer you question, Sky has recently implemented HDMI-CEC features.  To auto-switch HDMI inputs when you turn the Sky box on, you need to do the following

• On the TV, ensure that Bravia Sync is on
  • On the Sky Box, ensure that "Control for HDMI" is on.

However, people have been reporting that when they switch Control for HDMI on, on the Sky box, the Home and Options buttons no longer work correctly.

These forums are not the way to get direct responses from Sony.  Even though these forums are on a Sony site, they are primarily run by everyone - hence the name Community Forums.  If you want a direct response from Sony, it is always best to contact them directly via email or phone.

Cheers