Join now - be part of our community!

Firmware update problems

profile.country.es_ES.title
Javeasteve
Visitor

Firmware update problems

Since updating to latest firmware I have lost use of numerous buttons on the remote including the Home button and the Sony TV Stand no longer works through the audio settings as a Orange Mute Icon is constantly displayed on the screen.  The TV also constanly turns itself back on if the standby button on the remote is used.  I have tried to reinstall the update but am unable to do so either manually or automatically.  The instructions on the update page state to check the size of the download is over 70,000kb but I can only obtain a  download of 68,000kb. The TV is a KDL-46NX720.  The sound bar is: SU B461S. The remote is a RM-EDO44.

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.en_GB.title
Bravia55HX

Hi,

have you tried the factory reset on the tv ?, i only mention this as you have not said whether you have tried this.

i have not heard of so many problems after updates however having said that it is known to change some settings you made and you would have to check these out.

Javeasteve
Visitor

Hi, Thanks for that! Eventually did the restore but still have same problems, including now being unable to find the USB ports in the menu which can only be obtained by pressing sync menu and then Home. As a result checked out what firmware is installed, after the reset and it is still showing that the latest firmware is installed. How can that be?

How can the sound bar be showing active in the menu but muted on the screen?

Bravia55HX

Hi again,

its difficult to know without actually looking at it, but to me it clear its not right and may require a look by a sony service technician, if the set is still under warranty and your sure it was the update that screwed it up then i suggest you arrange a visit without further delay.

just a re cap on the soundbar, have you connected this correctly?, i.e through HDMI 1 (ARC) and changed the setting in the menu under speakers from tv to audio system?

Message was edited by: Bravia55HX923

Javeasteve
Visitor

Thanks will email for a technician to call but am beginning to wonder if the firmware update is okay as I have noticed a few other posts now appearing with similar problems. I would love to revert to the firmware prior to this latest update but my USB ports are now not recognised and as stated previously I still have the latest firmware even after a reset.  Is there any other way to revert back to the original firmware?

The Sound Bar is connected to HDMI 1 and it is found every occassion the TV starts but when synced with audio system it goes straight to mute with a yellow mute icon showing up on the screen which I am unable to remove with the TV remote, Is there some other method I can employ? 

Do you know if a new firmware update is likely to be released soon?

Bravia55HX

Hi again,

all a factory re set does is clear the system of any glitches, it will not alter any updates nor will it revert it back to a previous update, as for the USB's there has been one or two cases where there has been a problem, and the soundbar issue is an odd one so for both of those i would get a tech to look at.

let us know what happens.

Javeasteve
Visitor

Thanks again for that but thought you should know what happened today, connected up laptop to TV with same hdmi cable as used from Satellite receiver, screen went blank until signal from laptop came through, TV screen showed Desktop and then flashed "Scene Selection Changed" and with that the sound bar burst into life.  Checked the scene selection and it was still showing Auto as previous so have no ideas as to what exactly happened.  The Standby switch now back to normal with just one press.  Home button still not working but can work around that...... USB ports are still missing although USB drive is illuminated when plugged in, not heard anything re technicians visit but then it is weekend and the festive season is now upon us.......mind you I did not expect your reply on a Sunday, hope you manage to have some time off over xmas period.

Bravia55HX

yeah, dont expect much from anyone now till after the holidays!, the reason i'm on hand is im not a Sony employee but an active member of the forum, the forum was intended for us all to openly communicate with each other and to help wherever we can, of coarse the forum is run by Sony and is monitored as such and of coarse there are a few of the Sony guys on here that help in their free time.

have a good one.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Javeasteve,

welcome to Questions & Answers..

Can you please confirm that someone from Sony support contacted you on the 21st December..