Join now - be part of our community!

DLNA: Blank Folders with KDL-40ex715

SOLVED
profile.country.de_AT.title
Moody99
Visitor

DLNA: Blank Folders with KDL-40ex715

Hi!

I bought a Sony Bravia KDL-40ex715. Since I bought the TV on Friday I'm suffering with DLNA problems.

I'm using the Bravia with my ReadyNAS Duo (Netgear). No matter what I try, the Bravia always show empty video folders (Photos and Mp3 are working fine).

I applied several updates to the ReadyNAS (Currently I'm using RAIDiator 4.1.7 with ReadyDLNA 1.0.17). Furthermore I already installed an additional Twonkey. I even tried to convert my media-files (.avi) to several codecs (Divx, MPEG4 and MPEG2).
=> The Bravia only shows MPEG2 files. Most of the folders are blank and the files (most of them Divx) are not shown.
=> Although the Bravia shows and plays Divx-Files by using the USB-Interface without any problems, it doesn't show the same files when using the ReadyNAS.

Does the Bravia only support limited codecs when using the network interface compared to the USB interface?

I'd really appreciate any support on this issue to get the Bravia to play DivX or MPEG4 files using DLNA from my NAS.

Thank you very much for your support!

Christian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.fr_FR.title
sletonqu
New

I suggest you to have a look on www.serviio.org

Could be install to NAS, and could transcode a lot of media format to Sony compatible DLNA profile

KDL-46EX501, BDP-S373, SMP-N100, Serviio.org

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Correct - it doesn't support Divx over DLNA only via USB ( a perpertual frustration of mine!) Twonky should however be able to transcode on the fly though into something the TV does play nice with?

Thanks

Moody99
Visitor

Thanks for your reply (although it's not the answer I'd like to hear, because I the DIVX-Support was one of the reasons why I bought the Bravia).

Is there a plan for improvement (may be with an firmware update?)

Furthermore, I already tried mp4-Files but they don't work too. It seems the only file type which is supported is MPEG2. Is there any specification for supported File-Types with DLNA?

Thank you very much for your support!

Moody99
Visitor

Thanks a lot!

I installed serviio on my Mac Book and now I can view my videos with the Bravia. Even streaming videos from my ReadyNAS works fine.

It would be perfect to get serviio as an add on for ReadyNAS, but I didn't find anything like that. I'm afraid I won't get it working with my ReadyNAS Duo because compatibility issues. But we'll see.

If I'm looking for any new NAS, do you have any recommendations for using serviio?

Thanks for your reply!

AlastairMutch
Visitor

The KDL-40EX403 has exactly the same problem. I'm trying to stream video from a Buffalo Linkstation Duo NAS and seeing the same behaviour - files work from a USB memory stick but not via DLNA. Exactly the same trying to read from a PC running Media Player 11 where the Sony also reports empty folders.

Give the hype that Sony put out about being able to stream video via DLNA on the Bravia the current situation is pretty rubbish.

Annoyingly when I first got the TV in July the original firmware *did* work OK with the NAS drive and streamed other file types. They appear to have broken or deliberately disabled this feature. Sony don't support going back to an old firmware version.

Alastair

sletonqu
New

Moody99: I suggest to you to post your question on http://forum.serviio.org/

Catmambo
Contributor

FWIW - I run a Synology NAS at home and love it - http://www.synology.com/enu/index.php

profile.country.ro_RO.title
darius3
Visitor

I have also a Synology NAS server 210J.

What model do you have and how does it work with DLNA?

Can you watch a full HD movie?

sletonqu
New

I suggest you to have a look on www.serviio.org

Could be install to NAS, and could transcode a lot of media format to Sony compatible DLNA profile

rcc1002
Visitor

One format I have finally got to work over DLNA is H264 files in a transport stream format.

I have a load of MP4 / H264 files that I wasn't able to play from a NAS - which wouldn't transcode them to anything the TV could read either.

I was able to Open, and the Export / Save the files to .ts files without transcoding using VLC.

Resaving was quick and there doesn't seem to be any loss of quality.

They now play fine from the NAS to the TV

R