Join now - be part of our community!

BBC HD Audio droput when switching from 1080p to 1080i

profile.country.en_GB.title
drchrissmith
New

BBC HD Audio droput when switching from 1080p to 1080i

Hi

Just an enquiry on what the status is of the recently introduced problem on the BBC HD channel on the EX503 (and probably all 2010 Sony TV's that can receive Freeview HD). The new BBC HD codec now allows for dynamic switching between 1080p and 1080i content which causes a short dropout in the audio stream on Sony TV's. Is this problem going to be addressed by Sony/BBC with an update as it makes BBC HD fairly unwatchable with the continuous audio dropouts.

Other than this issue very happy with the TV (aprt from not being able to slect HD channel override so BBC1/ITV etc could be set to use the HD version by default).

Thanks

Chris

176 REPLIES 176
daander75
New

Anyone having problems with picture going blank (and no sound) or freezing tonight on BBC HD (program is Leo Africanus)? - It has done it a couple of times. Just wondered... I'm on Blackhill transmitter.

Different problem to what we experienced before the update.

[I'm using latest firmware on Bravia 2010]

Message was edited by: daander75

Message was edited by: daander75

daander75
New

Update: It is doing this on BBC 1 HD too tonight (going blank), suspect problem at Blackhill TV transmitter. Anyone else?

daander75
New

Mystery solved, when I retuned the set last week (because of part 1 of the Blackhill Analog shutdown), the set had chosen the MUX from the Craigkelly transmitter off the back of my antenna rather than Blackhill to which it is pointing. It was dropouts caused by reflections from passing vehicles that was the problem. I have now retuned again and this time I have the correct transmitter and all is OK again thank goodness.

BTW: Hi to GM8ARV from GM4JJJ

gm8arv
Visitor

Indeed, David, something to watch out for when more than one trasnmitter is "visible" to your antenna.  I think something similar has happened to another set here, which is now offering multiple BBC-1 and other channels after a retune.  Could apply to many folk where the higher power of the post-switchover signals causes them to be detected.  Our next retune is tomorrow, so perhaps I'll have to dig out a 10dB or 20dB attenuator for that retune!  Hope things are clearer then.

[Off topic: noticed the 1/3 line offset on analog Blackhill before the closedown using my FUNcube dongle, when calibrating it.]

David

daander75
New

Thanks David. Good idea about the attenuator, I have one someplace...

Today the HD MUX from Blackhill (low power on CH 65) appears to have gone and has not come up on the new CH40 yet (due tomorrow with the Analog shutdown). So my set has automagically set itself back to CH21 on Craigkelly again. :angry: It would coincide with Wimbledon. :cry:

gm8arv
Visitor

OK here from BlackHill at 13:55 BST (assuming my set hasn't self tuned), although it seems to be in 2D and not the promised 3D (thank goodness!).

daander75
New

David can you check what frequency you are receiving BBC HD on please? On my Bravia from Options then scroll to the very bottom for system info. If it is 471MHz or something it is Craigkelly, if it is way up the band at 700 or 800MHz it is Blackhill. Mine changed of its own accord since last night!

daander75
New

Just did a full range digital retune (took ages) and now PROG 54 BBC HD is back on 777.97MHz which I presume is Blackhill. I think that is CH59.

I'll be glad when this is all over!

gm8arv
Visitor

Yes, mine shows as 777.999MHz for BBC-HD.  I will alos be pleased when the endless retuning is finished.  Never had this problem with analog!    By the way, my pre-FEC date is around 1e-2, which I read as one packet in a hundred being wrong.  Not very good.  Could be the high frequency, although I have a log aperiodic antenna.  Will be interested to see what +10dB brings.

Cheers,

David

daander75
New

Another note, I currently have a wideband antenna rather than Group B as I needed to cover the channels above Group B (Like CH 59 the low power (10KW) BBC HD MUX). This makes matters worse with Craigkelly off the rear of the antenna. After tomorrow Group B antenna can be used again, so I will need to get up the loft and swop them over again (hope I have kept the old group B one!).

Looking forward to more power on all of the digital channels tomorrow.

I was too quick to blame Sony for these recent glitches, sorry.:smileysilly: