Join now - be part of our community!

How to fix "Insufficient Storage Available"

bbfl
Visitor

How to fix "Insufficient Storage Available"

Hello,

I have tried to install some updates in Play Store but I got this message "Insufficient Storage Available". I googled for a fix and found that article - http://www.ganshani.com/2012/01/11/fix-insufficient-storage-available-on-android/

So does anyone tried this and can you tell me if it is working?

I know I can do it if I root my phone but I don't want to so I am looking for a solution without rooting the phone!

Thanks

UPDATE:

Here is the process of how to change the default location of installing apps on your phone directly to SD card.

I decided to write the instructions here from the website above as it's loading slowly or sometimes it's just not working.

Before you start I want to say that it's absolutely safe process and it won't brick your phone and you don't need to root your phone to perform the next steps.

Step 1:  Download and Install Java Development Kit from Oracle’s website (approximately 87 MB).

Step 2: Download and Install Android SDK from Google’s website. I preferred the recommended Windows Installer

Step 3: Run Command Prompt with Administrator Privileges on Windows 7 or Windows 8 OS.  [Start Menu –> type in cmd –> Right click the Command Prompt –> Run as Administrator.  The UAC will prompt you with a dialog which you should click as ‘Yes’]

Step 4:  If you have installed the latest version of Android SDK (SDK Manager Revision 16 or later), then type in following commands on cmd:

(You may want to verify & replace the folder on which you have installed the SDK. If you are using an older version of Android SDK, you may want to give a try at following path C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\tools or if you have installed the SDK in different location change it when you type the command in cmd).

cd C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools

Step 5: On your Android phone, go to Settings –> Applications –> Development and enable USB Debugging. Once done, connect the phone to your laptop/desktop via USB cable.

Step 6: Execute the following command:

adb shell pm getInstallLocation

You would get an output as: 0[auto]

In Android, Install Location has 3 values

0 [auto] – Let the system decide the best location.

1 [internal] – Install the application on internal device storage. This means any internal storage provided with your device.

2 [external] – Install the application on external media. This means any SD, microSD cards attached to your device.

Step 7: So let’s change the default location to 2[external]. Type the following command:

adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2

This will change the default installation location to SD card of all the applications that you install henceforth. What about those that are already installed on device storage? I am sure you were unable to move all of them to SD card earlier. You can give it a try now! Alternatively, you can download an application Apps2SD and manually move them to SD card.

To check if the settings changed or not, you can execute Step 6 again and check the results.

Step 8: Disable USB debugging on your phone. Close the Command Prompt and enjoy!

If there was something else you would like to say, drop in a comment.

Message was edited by: bbfl

16 REPLIES 16
bbfl
Visitor

Well even if you change the location sometimes the apps are installed on the phone and you need to go to Settings > Applications > Manage applications you can find all of the installed apps on your phone and there you can move them to SD card. However not all apps can be moved (like Facebook, Gmail, Google Play Store, Google Search) but most of them can. It will be much easier if you install this app "App 2 SD" you can find it in the Play Store. There you can see which apps can be moved and which apps can't.

kpbkumar
Visitor

Root your phone

and install Titanium Backup

In Main Menu -> batch actions-> move/integrate->move user apps to SD card..

You can move almost all apps to SD card

DaRKWORLD1
Visitor

Thanks, you made my day. It worked for me after clearing cache with your app. Thanks again!!

colourful1
Visitor

Thank you for your  information

Shubhammoonat
Visitor

I was try this in my xperia m dual c2004 build 15.5.A.1.5 but it did not work. It say "your device not have app2sd support please drop the change."

what can i do for changing default installation location to sd card.

Please reply fast if any one have solution.

Immortalwa
Visitor

You need to clean the cache on your phone. I used Clean Master from the Play Store to do this. It works perfectly. :):smileyhappy:

km12mishra
Visitor

we have to install the java and android development kits on the phone or the laptop? and where can we finf the cmd option?? plz reply