Join now - be part of our community!

How to enable Wi-Fi for e-mail and Java Me apps? (Elm)

SOLVED
Not applicable

How to enable Wi-Fi for e-mail and Java Me apps? (Elm)

Dear all,

I performed a firmware update on my Elm j10i2 phone. I am able to connect with a Wi-Fi and browse web pages with it, but i cannot use Wi-Fi anymore for e-mail or Java Me apps.

My settings are:

Internet settings: allow local connections

Streaming settings: allow local connections

Wi-Fi : connected with a favorite and high-priority network

If i look for IMAP4/SMTP connection settings, i get the "internet settings" menu, indicating 'allow local connections Yes', but you cannot save it (it says not available now, probably because it expects GSM/GPRS/3G data accounts)

If i check my e-mail, i get the message "you have to select an internet account now" - after confirmation, i get again the unsavable "internet settings" menu.

If i start a Java application (for example AccuWeather), it does not connect over Wi-Fi, and if i choose the app's options, and then "internet settings", i get again the unsavable "internet settings" menu, this time indicating 'allow local connections No'.

Did I miss some settings menu somewhere ? Or do you need to configure GSM/GPRS/3G data accounts to get it right?

It's pretty annoying because Wi-Fi was my main incentive to buy this phone.

Beste regards,

joris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dr_Chris
Champion

You're right, because there was no data account set at all.However, in order to use wifi without any valid data account, you can create a dummy account (just give it a name, select and save it) and as long as the Allow local conn. is set to Yes, then the phone's wifi connection has a point of reference (i.e., the dummy data account) to use local connectivity through a wireless network.This of course shows quite clearly that wifi use is independent of mobile network use, something which even some networks don't understand or are confused about.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Dr_Chris
Champion

You need to make sure that the Connect to data account setting under both Internet and Streaming settings is the correct one for your mobile network, (if you want to use the mobile network) and obviously the Allow local conn needs to be set to Yes, in each case, for wifi connectivity.When you get the "not available now" message, it simply means that it has already been saved but you can still select to change the setting, if you need to.The software update probably resulted in a loss of the internet data account setting (Connect to) so you can re-download these using the phone's set-up wizard, which will automatically change the data account under Internet settings but you have to select it manually under Streaming settings (and probably in the email settings as well).Let me know what happens.

Not applicable

Hi Dr_Chris,

thanks for the answer. I downloaded the mobile (!) network settings and now WiFi for e-mail and Java ME apps works.

Nevertheless I have the impression that there must be entered some mobile (!) network data accounts in order to use Wi-Fi (!) for e-mail and Java ME because the "internet settings" menu kept on blocking IMAP e-mail and Java ME apps connections in the context with

(Wi-Fi connected + no mobile network accounts set + allow local connections Yes).

Best regards,

joris

Dr_Chris
Champion

You're right, because there was no data account set at all.However, in order to use wifi without any valid data account, you can create a dummy account (just give it a name, select and save it) and as long as the Allow local conn. is set to Yes, then the phone's wifi connection has a point of reference (i.e., the dummy data account) to use local connectivity through a wireless network.This of course shows quite clearly that wifi use is independent of mobile network use, something which even some networks don't understand or are confused about.

Not applicable

Thanks a million!

joris