Join now - be part of our community!

STR-DN 1080 - Calibration setting not stored

profile.country.DE.title
phil_merge

STR-DN 1080 - Calibration setting not stored

Hi,

After performing the auto speaker calibration and selecting a setting ("Full Flat" for example), this setting is not stored. 

When I switch the receiver off and on again, the speaker calibration setting is ignored, although it still says "Full Flat" in the menu. The sound is as if it was set to "Off".

I need to manually set the setting to "Off" and to "Full flat" to hear the correct speaker calibration.

Thanks for your help!

Phil

193 REPLIES 193
profile.country.GB.title
expectingtofly1
Explorer

I really hope they push ahead with the firmware release.

It is one of those problems that are difficult to pinpoint, where nearly everybody who owns the receiver must be wondering why their receiver doesn't sound as good as when they calibrated it!
Thank goodness the original poster managed to discover the cause.

Its amazing that Sony have left an issue unfixed that breaks the receiver for so many users for so long.

If anyone wants a straight forward way to check how their receiver sounds for the different calibration types.

The easiest way I found was to play this track on spotify connect on the receiver :  spotify:track:4JJUmvMhJHT3nSRNXCQi5w      (the forum won't let me post the url )

It is a "Band Limited Pink Noise" test sound that lasts for about a minute.  If you play it and cycle through the calibration types,  it makes it very easily audible which calibration type is being applied.

It is will also make it very easy to check if the firmware fix (when it arrives! ) has fixed the issue.

profile.country.GB.title
r9800pro
profile.country.GB.title
Beeper85

Although I jumped ship recently to Denon after months and months of pushing, I would love to know why this was happening and why it meant that, in this thread, there is flat out denial and blame on our 'subjective' listening...

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi @r9800pro,

As I already posted earlier on this thread, DTS specification for multichannel surround sound does not support height channels. DTS:X being part of that. 

The use of height channels for multichannel surround sound is a patented technology by Dolby Labs.

For that reason the expectation to have height channels enabled for DTS sound is fundamentally out of question. 

I suggest you make use of the “Multi Ch Stereo” sound preset when you desire to map and sound stream (in this case DTS) on to all your sound channels in use.

Cheers,

Dutchice 

profile.country.GB.title
r9800pro

Hi @dutchice 

I am sure Sony can figure a workaround for this so called limitation like other AVR manufacturers did.

This is a low end Denon X1300 AVR that had this functionality for years already:

70976226-677378752758924-1647391928230084608-n.jpg

“Multi Ch Stereo” doesn't work in the case of DTS:x in 5.1.2 (TM) configuration as no sound is coming from the top speakers.

profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

Wow, my lengthy post just got deleted as "spam". Unbelievable.

@dutchice I call absolute rubbish on the "fundamentally out of the question" weak excuse for 2 reasons:

• the post above mine by @r9800pro details how other manufacturers have implemented this very basic workaround for the benefit of their customers. So, clearly Sony's decision not to do likewise is arbitrary.
  • Front Height speakers are definitely not part of the Dolby Atmos specifications, yet when Dolby Atmos content is played through the STR-DN1080, height audio is produced by FH speakers and is therefore not "fundamentally out of the question" apparently. Arbitrary non-adherence to Atmos specs?

There are a bunch of longstanding issues with the STR-DN1080 that haven't been fixed. HDMI CEC issues, high power consumption on Network Standby (for regions that support it), slow input switching speed, and the Home Screen appearing when it shouldn't all come to mind.

I believe this is simply a matter of profits. The STR-DN1080 is 3 years old now, so there's probably no immediate payoff in investing engineers' time. I would imagine that these requests don't even make it to the engineers!

This is rather shortsighted as burned customers do not make repeat customers. The appalling 'support' demonstrated in this thread may just be a deal-breaker when considering the purchase of an expensive OLED TV for example. Caveat emptor, buyer beware. Just my 2 cents.

profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor
profile.country.GB.title
expectingtofly1
Explorer

I've updated my receiver and, to confirm, the problem is fixed for me!

I've tested it after multiple power downs and the Calibration type stuck.

For info, I tested using the "Band Limited Pink Noise" track on spotify.

It looks like we have reached the end of a very long saga 👍

Thank you to all those who persevered and to Sony for (eventually) fixing.

profile.country.DE.title
phil_merge

I've updated the receiver and the new software version has this error corrected.

The calibration is correctly saved and recalled after powering off and on.

One question though: Does Sony state that this error was there from the beginning and that all units are affected?

Contradicting previous statements?

This would mean that all users have been listening to a faulty device for 2 years (!), probably without noticing the bad sound.

It would also mean that it is difficult to trust any HiFi reviews. Do they really listen?

It is well known that professional audio engineers (my case) have always been very cautious in believing the many HiFi-audio-myths.

It is better to trust your own ears rather than those of journalists or price tags!

best

Phil

profile.country.GB.title
Beeper85

Good to see you got this fixed after sticking it out Phil!

I don't expect Sony will ever explain why the issue was present, let alone why it was denied here and elsewhere...  Even with objective and clear measurements demonstrating it and it warranting a 'fix'!

As I said, I jumped to Denon, but would still be interested in understanding the 'why's and 'hows'. 

It is shocking to think that reviewers did not pick up on this.  It was hardly subtle...

Ben