Join now - be part of our community!

STR-DN 1080 - Calibration setting not stored

profile.country.DE.title
phil_merge

STR-DN 1080 - Calibration setting not stored

Hi,

After performing the auto speaker calibration and selecting a setting ("Full Flat" for example), this setting is not stored. 

When I switch the receiver off and on again, the speaker calibration setting is ignored, although it still says "Full Flat" in the menu. The sound is as if it was set to "Off".

I need to manually set the setting to "Off" and to "Full flat" to hear the correct speaker calibration.

Thanks for your help!

Phil

193 REPLIES 193
profile.country.GB.title
Beeper85

Retailer was v clear that Sony had made no further response to them and the issue

profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

Wow! Somehow I'm not surprised!

profile.country.GB.title
Beeper85

Any thoughts on the Denon unit? Don't know much about it!
profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

Before the Sony, I would've liked a Denon. I don't know this particular model, but I would guess that calibration settings are retained after shutdown!

It gets a 5 star review at WhatHiFi. When it comes to sound quality, they compare it with the Sony. All I'll say is that this is subjective and that the Denon probably sounds better than the Sony and its non-functioning calibration storing. 

Back to the STR-DN1080 saga, the moral of this story: caveat emptor - buyer beware. Don't expect the product to function at it's meant to, or for it to be fixed when you discover that it doesn't, and finally, you cannot always rely on the manufacturer to support you in any meaningful way - in my opinion.

profile.country.GB.title
Beeper85

For what it is worth - I'm very happy with the Denon. Great punchy sound. MUCH quieter power transformer (one of my issues with the Sony was a constant noticeable hum). No calibration issues (Audyssey sees to that) and no HDMI handshake issues. Much smoother.

profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

That's great news! Thanks for the update.

I imagine that the UI and input switching is faster also!

profile.country.GB.title
dutchice
Expert

Hi all,

I thought of providing you a quick update by informing you that the final testing stages of the developed solution for this issue have completed successfully and the expectation is to proceed with a public release. I can't confirm any definite date due to different regions having different schedules, so keep a close eye on your Support by Sony app in the coming weeks.

Once again, we thank you for flagging this issue and hopefully we will hear from you after updating your devices.

Cheers,

Dutchice

profile.country.GB.title
grolschie
Contributor

That's great news. With any luck the update will arrive before the 2 year anniversary of this issue being reported in this forum (May 2018).

profile.country.GB.title
Beeper85

Bit late... 😂

chimpanx
New

Hi there - please could you give any hints as to what will be included in the new firmware update, as there are a number of long-standing issues and I'm nearly at the point of giving up on my STR-DN1080 and switching brands...!

Is the firmware expected to resolve? :

1. Lost calibration settings issue
  2. Home screen appearing every time the HDMI input switches on start up (and slow performance)
  3. Performance around switching inputs generally

Many thanks!