Join now - be part of our community!

Sony HT-RT3 Sub-Woofer Cooling Fan Noise

profile.country.GB.title
Bladevane

Sony HT-RT3 Sub-Woofer Cooling Fan Noise

There is an annoying whining noise coming from the sub-woofer whenever the unit is switched on. The fan speed increases when audio output from the TV is heard and during lulls in TV conversation the fan can clearly be heard spooling down as the speed decreases. I am on the second sub-woofer unit and Sony have ordered a third one as a replacement. To be honest I am not expecting this one to be much, if any, better than the first 2.

Clearly someone in the Sony organisation has missed the noisy fan issue or decided customers will have to put up with it.

The noise is distracting and totally unacceptable.

74 REPLIES 74
profile.country.RO.title
Clauio
Explorer

Hello. I bought this soundabr in Romania a few days ago despite the cooler's noise reviews - did not expect to be that noisy.

I've sent an e-mail to Sony Romania and got their reply which states that the product does not have an operating system and thus cannot be updated. Now I don't know what to think... If I will send it to repair will they fix anything?

I would really appreciate an advice. Thank you!

profile.country.GB.title
Thingsarelookingup
Explorer

Hello Clauio,

The repair centre will change the fan to rule out any issues with it. As Sony said there isn't a firmware update for the devise. I got the fan in mine changed, but the noise hasn't gone away. You might want to look at returning it and getting a different one. I'm looking at getting a home cinema blu-ray system with enough speaker watts. That way the main fan is in the blu-ray player with some luck. Hope that helps.

profile.country.ES.title
eXPerience83

Maybe it has no SO, but the firmware is there. And you can check the version using the remote control.

I really don't know why it doesn't support DTS and have a better fan control.

profile.country.GB.title
Bladevane

Sorry to disagree but there is a firmware update which can be applied by a Sony Service Centre. It takes around an hour and was free when I had mine done by the local Centre (Oxford). It makes a huge difference and runs the fan at a much lower speed which means I am not distracted by the ridiculoud fan noise.

profile.country.GB.title
Thingsarelookingup
Explorer

Humm! Well the repair centre that dealt with mine reported the serial number of my device fell outside those for whom the firmware can be updated. Hence just changed the fan. Nothing more could be done. I reckon a blu-ray/dvd home cinema system with speakers is the way to go.

profile.country.GB.title
Bladevane

Although I am satisfied with my unit I still find it amazing (and totally disgraceful) that Sony a) allowed these units to be sold with such a high degree of fan noise, b) have no coherent repair/upgrade/recall strategy and c) are still selling them with high noise levels. I used to be a fan (pun intended) of Sony products but my experience over this issue has forced me to think again. I hope someone from the Sony organisaiton is reading this thread and takes notice.

profile.country.ES.title
eXPerience83

And which firmware do you have?

To check with mine

profile.country.RO.title
Clauio
Explorer

How can I check the version? 

Trimis din Yahoo Mail pe Android
profile.country.GB.title
Bladevane

My firmware version is 1.060.

profile.country.GB.title
Bladevane

Press Menu then using the + or - arrows scroll through to SYS, select then scroll to VER and select.