Join now - be part of our community!

How do I connect W5500 to STR-DH520

profile.country.da_DK.title
jemadse79
Visitor

How do I connect W5500 to STR-DH520

Hi there

My goal is to get digital sound from my telly (Sony Bravia W5500) to my receiver (STR-DH520).

As far as I know the W5500 don't have Audio Return Channel, so I guess I have to pass the sound through the Digital Optical output.

So I've bought an optical toslink digital cable and connected the cable to the TV optical input on the receiver and the other end of the cable to the tv. Then I choose TV on the reciver as input and the inputmode to Auto. but no audio from the receiver. I also tried inputmode OPT, with no effect.

What am I doing wrong ??

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

Is there a setting on the TV to switch the tv to output sound via optical or not use the onboard speakers? Sounds like you have done everything else right...

Thanks

jemadse79
Visitor

Hi ..

Thanks for the fast reply ..

There's an option where I can switch between tv speakers and audiosystem and when I switch to audiosystem the tv speakers correctly turns off, but still no sound from the receiver.

I cant find other settings connected to the optical output on the tv.

I wonder if it is the toslink cable that could be the problem.

I purchased this cable  http://www.av-cables.dk/lydkabler/optisk_toslink_kabel/optisk_kabel/standard_optisk_toslink_digital_...

Which i belive is a standard toslink cable, but can there be any differnces between cables besides of quality of course, does Sony equipment need some speciel Optical cables?

Bravia55HX

Hi,

forget about the switch from audio system/tv speakers, i never touch it but instead if optical cable is used, set Amp to TV/LD (mine is) yours may say different and turn the sound down on the tv, not forgetting to change the coaxial/optical selection on the Amp.

the other way of coarse and i dont know a lot about it as i dont have that feature is the Audio Return Channel (ARC) via HDMI.

jemadse79
Visitor

Hi

thanks for your reply.

yeah, I think you're right about the system/tv speaker switch.

I tried to set the amp to TV and set the input mode to OPT (which should stand for Optical), but still nothing happens, no sound from the speakers.

.. and yes, the ARC would definately be a solution, sadly my Sony Bravia W5500 dosen't support it.

Bravia55HX

Hi again,

ok, well theres only one other thing i forgot that i know worked on my db830 amp, theres 2 optical connections on the back, try the other one!

jemadse79
Visitor

Once again, thanks for your replies ..

I've tried both optical connections , but still no sound ..

I think I will try with another cable, I hope that will help ..

jemadse79
Visitor

Hi

Just wanted to say, that I have solved my problem.

I'm sooo stupid :slight_smile:

These optical cables is protected by a plastic cover, which you have to remove before use.

I diden't know that :smileyblush:

After removing these plastic covers from the cable and connecting the tv and amp, ev'rything worked perfectly  ..

So I'm happy, a bit embarrassed, but happy :slight_smile:

Bravia55HX

HA-HA-HA!!!,

you know whats funny, i really wanted to ask you if you did that but i did'nt have the heart to!,

i knew it was something stupid, but that was funny, its a good job you did not damage the ports trying to push it in. well done, at least your sorted now.