Join now - be part of our community!

DLNA support on S380 - does it? will it?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
wilsodg
Visitor

DLNA support on S380 - does it? will it?

I have a BDP S370 and it has been absolutely fantastic - so good that we want 2 more for other rooms.  But we have a media server and the DLNA support is important/useful.  I have heard that the S380 might have been announced with it (at CES) but does not have it implemented, but that it might be added?  Sadly, the Sony UK site does not even list the S380 as a current item, therefore caries no information on it.

Can anyone indicate..

1. Should it have DLNA support?

2. Does it have it in the latest firmware?

3. Is it likely to get it anytime soon?

Alternatively I guess this explains why S370's are holding their price.  Bizarre that a new product should be inferior in function to the one it replaces.

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Catmambo
Contributor

No it won't be getting DLNA I'm afraid, its a bit of a shame in someways. It does however help create more of a clear distinction between the 380 and 480.

Could always look out for 470's or the SMP-N100 netbox if you aren't needing discs.

Thanks

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Catmambo
Contributor

No it won't be getting DLNA I'm afraid, its a bit of a shame in someways. It does however help create more of a clear distinction between the 380 and 480.

Could always look out for 470's or the SMP-N100 netbox if you aren't needing discs.

Thanks

iancm9
Visitor

Very dissapionted and cross with Sony on this point.

The product specs on the Sony site stated clearly until after I purchased the S380 in June that  DNLA support would come via an update in June 2011.this never happened and now you say it will not.

This quite simply is unacceptable behaviour by what is supposed to be a reputable company.

It amounts to miss-selling of the product and has seriously undermined my confidence in Sony as a company.

Is my only course of action to return my player to the reailer stating that Sony have not honourd what they said in their product litrature at the time of purchase or will Sony rethink and deliver on their promise?

Message was edited by: iancm9

Message was edited by: iancm9

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi

Sorry you are unhappy about this. I've checked the 380 page here http://www.sony.co.uk/product/blu-ray-disc-player/bdp-s380 and can't see any reference to a later DLNA update. This has at no point been a planned upgrade to this product.

Last years product, the 370 had a later DLNA update and this is noted on the page - http://www.sony.co.uk/product/blu-ray-disc-player/bdp-s370

Do you have a link  to the page or a screen cap where it mentions it?

thanks

iancm9
Visitor

Hi

No I did not take a screen grab at the time I saw no reason not to trust Sony in carrying out the firmware upgrade for DNLA. So at some point between June and now the reference for this upgrade has been removed from the website. I would have thought one of your collegues at Sony would know something about this.

Thanks. 

datajoka
Visitor

Further to the posts above, I saw the product yesterday in Currys and they are advertising it as having DLNA.

I guess this is likely to be a Currys issue, but it highlights the confusion about this feature...

:smileysad::smileyshocked:

datajoka
Visitor

Furthermore, I think the layout of this page is pretty misleading too:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/BDP-S380/connect-your-blu-ray

Here, having selected the S380 product, it says:

Why connect the Blu-Ray Disc Player to a Wi-Fi Network ?

• Enjoy BD-LIVE by downloading bonus content available on BD-LIVE enabled media via a network connected to the internet.
  • Access BRAVIA® Internet Video content for a more robust TV experience.
  • View photos stored in other network devices using the DLNA function.
  • Directly update the player's software via the Wi-Fi network connected to the internet

Still - I don't expect Sony to update the product.

bobbyrabbit1
Visitor

On the basis that the s370 had DLNA, and noticing the s380 as the natural progression to the what I guess would be an obsolete s370. I naturally purchased a s380 as I'm sure most other buyers would

Well, I was pretty hacked off to say the least when I realised the s380 had no DLNA. I think the progression in model numbers is extremely misleading Sony.

I have an SMP-N100 media streamer which is fantastic. I bought the s380 hoping to replace my WD Live box and add Blu-Ray with integrated DLNA. Perhaps I was naive!!

Please upgrade the software to include DLNA Sony!!

TheMarchingMoron
Visitor

What annoys me most about this is the packaging states clearly DLNA on the end of the box. I bought the player as a second SACD. i've got it plugged into a hifi with a small tv monitor and was hoping to browse my network for additional music. I wouldn't mind so much but as it clearly states DLNA on the box (i'll just mention that again) I purchased the wireless stick for £69 which is now useless! Sony should publish a retraction as it is a blatant infringement of product description legislation. No wonder they're going down the pan!