Join now - be part of our community!

AV amp STR-DA5400ES "PROTECT "

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
MikeHammill
New

AV amp STR-DA5400ES "PROTECT "

Hi all,

My STR-DA5400ES av amp will start and then switches off with "Protect" on the display. I have tried everything suggested - disconnected the speakers etc but nothing works. Has it had it? We have had it from new and it is about 10 years old. It was very expensive and I would have thought it would last longer? My brother has a Denon that is twice as old and it is still going strong!

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks and all the best,

Mike Hammill

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
MikeHammill
New

Thanks very much,

I think the av amp will cost too much to be checked over and a Sony approved repair centre told me they don't make the parts any more. Sounds a bit odd but I think that they just slip new boards in and out till the problem goes away these days. The other local repair centre didn't even respond. Looks like it will replaced by a Denon.

All the best.

Mike Hammil

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

I would maybe, if you still wanted to use it, see if there is a local repair shop.

My 10-11 year old old STR-DG720 went like that a few years back.

I'd given it to my son, for his room, as he wanted surround, and it ran great, until "Protect".

I took it to a small tv/audio repair shop, and he replaced a couple of the transistors that are attached to the mainboard, and heatsink.

Only cost about £40 or thereabouts.

It ran for another couple of years until my son retired it and bought a soundbar...idiot! 😁

profile.country.GB.title
MikeHammill
New

Thanks very much,
I think the av amp will cost too much to be checked over and a Sony approved repair centre told me they don't make the parts any more. Sounds a bit odd but I think that they just slip new boards in and out till the problem goes away these days. The other local repair centre didn't even respond. Looks like it will replaced by a Denon.
All the best.
Mike Hammill
profile.country.GB.title
MikeHammill
New

Thanks very much,

All the best.

Mike Hammil