Join now - be part of our community!

HDR AS100...just a myth in the UK?

Hypha_
Explorer

HDR AS100...just a myth in the UK?

First of all this is my first venture here, so hi :slight_smile:

Now the reason im here is to find out what exactly is going on with Sonys marketing department and the AS100 action camera?

In the UK at least, no independant retailer is entertaining the idea of listing anything other than the AS15, and Sony UK states that after a not so long preorder phase, that its now no longer in stock?

Also since CES ive seen no reviews,comparisons or anything for that matter and theres been next to nothing (other than a few from Asia?) on the 'Tube? Is it a complete flop in Europe and being withdrawn before even taking off or is the marketing department just dragging its feet despite the "Late March 2014" date now long gone?

Im running away from GoPro after several years of use and want something different, more realible and ewual or maybe even better in terms of image? Sony has done me very well these last few months and the AS100 was music to my ears and yet now this silence. 

Slightly dissapointing. Anyone in the know?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
JapanMan2
Contributor

I believe there is a UK seller on eBay with a few in stock, otherwise Amazon states 3-6 weeks for stock.

So they're either selling extremely well, or had a quite big shortage in units.

The AS15 (the model I have), produces amazing video quality, and compared to my friends Drift Ghost HD, whipes the floor with it in low-lighting situations.

And finally more accessories are becoming available making the Sony actioncams much more versitile (I recently purchased the skeleton mount, so now I can use my external 3.5mm mic! :)). 

The AS100 definitely has an improvement externally, so if the internals are on par if not better, then the AS100 will be well worth the wait! So hang on in there. :tongue:

profile.country.en_GB.title
tweety2b
Ex Commander (Was always on)

Hi Guys,

I noticed Amazon UK has a supplier with 5 in stock:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-AS100VR-Splashproof-Action-Camera/dp/B00HH8A2DS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=...

Cheers,

nico

Nico Henderijckx
(ex-Sony employee - fanboy forever)
Hypha_
Explorer

Thanks guys for your replies and sorry for my delay in thanking you!

Thankfully stock has returned and mine is now on order. One thing i did notice is that while playing with quantity of cameras in my basket, any amount 2 or higher automatically said no stock and delayed delivery expected date till late May. After purchase i was then able to add another single camera to my basket with 2 day delivery. 

Looks like Sony are trying to limit numbers to individuals to retain stock levels so looks like they really do have an issue with demand outstripping supply.

Thanks again!

profile.country.GB.title
JapanMan2
Contributor

Sony have always been the best with action cam sensors, can't blame people for wanting to buy them!

The accessories that are becoming available are expanding too.

Though I wish they made smaller adhesives and clips for the cam as an additional option and a tripod adaptor for the AS100V that allows access to the microphone port so people don't have to rely on just the skeleton mount. :slight_smile: