Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Hx20v problems viewing movies on hdtv

profile.country.en_GB.title
Hayleymitch
Visitor

Sony Hx20v problems viewing movies on hdtv

Hi, I've recently just purchased the Sony Hx20v Cybershot camera but I'm having problems viewing my movies on my Samsung Smart HDTV.

I'm able to connect my camera to the HDTV via USB to view still images but this doesnt allow me to view my movies which are recorded in AVCHD. I've now purchased a HDMI lead and have tried connecting this to the camera however it doesnt seem to recognise the connection.

Could someone please help me??

Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9
mithcd
Visitor

It depends on your Samsung device. What format is this? (AVI,MP4,MKV,etc).

It is possible that a codec needs to be installed to view this movie. https://imagicon.info/cat/12-13/vmware_happy.gif

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hi Hayleymitch - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

As long as you have purchased the correct HDMI cable for your camera, this should turn the TV into an external viewer when connected i.e. it should just display whatever is on your camera screen. Over USB there would be additional issues due to the format of the videos but over HDMI it should just be a case of outputting the video signal to your TV. Depending upon the TV, you may need to manually change the input using the TV remote control when it is connected as it may not switch automatically.

Thanks,

Simon

Hayleymitch
Visitor

Please could you advise what codec is?

I'm also unable to upload the movies to my laptop as I have a Mac and apparently the movies can only be viewed/uploaded using imovies 11. I'm now having to purchase a software upgrade inorder to get the latest imovie program.

Hayleymitch
Visitor

Hi Simon,

I've connected the HDMI cable to the Camera and TV and it seems to be recognising that the HDMI cable is connected at the TV end, however comes up saying no signal..... check connected device's power, cable connection and source selection.   Am I doing something wrong?

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again :slight_smile:

Regarding your laptop first of all, there are other free software alternatives available for Mac such as VLC Player which can be downloaded from here:

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

Moving onto the TV issue, have you connected the camera as per the instructions here:

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/4424086121/EN/contents/07/01/01/01.html

This would include pressing the playback button on the camera once it is turned on.

Thanks,

Simon

Hayleymitch
Visitor

Hi, I've done actually as those instructions say but its still not showing anything on the tv. Could this be a fault with the camera or cable?

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again :slight_smile:

The only way to find out for certain would be to try the camera and cable with another TV set that has a HDMI input to see if the problem continues. Out of interest, what cable did you buy (if it was online, could you post the link here)?

Thanks

Simon

Hayleymitch
Visitor

I tried it on another TV today and it still didn't work. The company that I got the cable from are sending me a new one incase it was faulty. The HDMI cable was version 1.4 - not really sure what that means.

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello :slight_smile:

Let's hope that it was a faulty cable then.

HDMI 1.4 describes the version of the HDMI technology that the cable is compatible with. There is currently a need to better quality HDMI cables due to the growing popularity of 3D videos and other technological advances but at the same time this shouldn't effect things like viewing photos/videos between a camera and a TV.

Thanks,

Simon