Join now - be part of our community!

QX10 & Xperia Z1 Connection Issues

QX10 & Xperia Z1 Connection Issues

Hi

I've recently purchased an Xperia Z1 & QX10 but I'm having issues connecting them.  I've installed the "Playmemories Mobile" app and touched the 2 devices together using NFC.  However whilst the 2 devices seem to connect ok I'm left with a screen saying "Communication with the shooting device failed", even though the 2 devices seem to be working, I can move the camera and see what it's looking at on my phone.  Of course I can't take any pictures because of the error message that's in the way, all I can do is OK the message and i'm back to the connection menu.  Any ideas what may cause this?

Thanks

Tags (1)
18 REPLIES 18
gardeady
Explorer

Thanks for the tip Graham, but unfortunately that didn't work either.

I’ve tried everything! Even the reset button on the device. I’ve reinstalled the PlayMemories app, updated my Z1 to 4.3 and even installed the NFC app that Sony have for easier connection, but nothing.

It doesn’t work using NFC on my Tablet Z either, and that’s updated to 4.3 too. However I can send info to and from my Z1 and Tablet Z via NFC without issue, even before I updated my phone to 4.3

I’m at a loss. Have no idea what to try next. I know a lot of people have had connection issues, but haven’t come across anyone who can’t connect at all via NFC.

I tried the Camera360 app too but as far as I know that uses WiFi Direct only, and that works fine.

The QX10 works via WiFi Direct with PlayMemories, but for ease and speed I was really hoping the NFC would work.

Should I return it? I remember when I was in another store a couple of months back, there was a demo unit of the QX10 on show. I tapped my phone off it and it connected straight away via NFC, so I can’t see it being an issue with my phone.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

In all honesty I would return it. :slight_smile: It seems you've pretty much tried everything rational.

Did you get it from a store or online?

If its a store you could ask for an exchange and then actually try the replacement there and then.

Its hopeful that should sort it out if you've managed to connect to one previously.

gardeady
Explorer

Yep, bought it in store. I’ll take a trip back there this weekend and see if I can switch it.

Waiting on my mate at the moment so soon I’ll be able to try it on his S3 NFC enabled phone. If it works on that I’ll be freaked!!

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Good thinking, hopefully it won't :worried:

(Lol I've never crossed my fingers for something not to work before.)

gardeady
Explorer

Haha I know me too!

I’ll let you know shortly..

gardeady
Explorer

So it didn’t work. There MUST be something wrong with the camera. That’s 3 NFC devices I’ve tried to connect it to and nothing. It will only connect via WiFi Direct.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Excellent! (If you get what I mean lol)

At least you can go and swap it now :slight_smile:

lossy_lossnitzer
Explorer

Keep seeing on the internet that the qx100 is going to get a firmware update.

Will this make the Sony QX100 a product that is fit for use and not a paper weight? (currently that is all I use mine for at the moment)

I am shocked how bad this camera is, it is the most random device ever and I appear to never get the camera connected in time to shoot the subject or the limited functionality of the intelegent setting make the shot  rubbish anyway.

When (if) the firmware comes out how will that firmware update be installed via Play Mobile Home?

(Sony helpdesk - Chat last night saying there is not a firmware update)

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

@lossy_lossnitzer wrote:

Looks like it needs firmware and software updates to make it work as a camera, not what I expected from Sony!

Hi all,

just thought I'd let you know that Sony have released a firmware update for the DSC-QX10 & QX100..

• ISO Setting has been added
  • MP4 Movie Recording size changes from 1440 x 1080(30p) to 1920 x 1080 (30p)
  • Shutter Speed Priority mode has been added. (QX100 only)

Click on the following for more information, including installation instruction & links to download the update -

Updates for DSC-QX10

Updates for DCS-QX100