Join now - be part of our community!

HX20v lense housing has clearance (play or lash)

SOLVED
profile.country.nl_BE.title
peener
Visitor

HX20v lense housing has clearance (play or lash)

I'm very much pleased so far with my new Sony HX20V. It's a wonderfull little machine and it's hard to shoot bad pictures with it, especially in the i+ selector position.

Yesterday, I noticed something that worries me a little: there is pretty much clearance (play or lash) between the individual segments of the lense. When holding the camera body in one hand, it is possible to move the segments of the lense sideways. This can be done in all positions of the zoom range. The clearance is a little less in the long tele position, but still present. I had not noticed this before because this is a part of the camera that is normally not touched (zooming is done by the lever on the body) but yesterday I was walking around with the camera switched on and I felt something 'moving and clicking' in my hand while my arm was swinging. I started shaking the camera a little and while pulling on the lense, I felt the clearance.

I don't know if I need to worry about this, but I wonder whether this is a normal condition. Do other HX20V  cameras have the same condition or is something wrong with my camera? If I'm the only one with this situation, it would be a factory error and I would have to turn it in for repair/replacement.

Looking forward to your comments.

Message was edited by: peener

Message was edited by: peener

Tags (3)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
peener
Visitor

Well, I jumped into a Sony store today and the displayed camera had the same condition. The technician/salesman assured me that this was a very common behavior and that the camera was designed this way as it is part of the stabilization system. It is 'shock' proof (although 'cocktail shaking' should of course be avoided.

Case closed for me. Thanks for all your comments!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.en_GB.title
Mick2011
New

Hi peener :slight_smile:

Some 'play' in the lens is normal for this sort of camera design. If you feel it is excessive (it's difficult to quantify over a forum message) you should probably get it checked out.

Register your repair on this page: http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/repair

Cheers

Mick

peener
Visitor

Thanks for the hint, I'll try that. As I live in Belgium, I'll try the Belgian site of course:smileyhappy:

peener
Visitor

Well, I jumped into a Sony store today and the displayed camera had the same condition. The technician/salesman assured me that this was a very common behavior and that the camera was designed this way as it is part of the stabilization system. It is 'shock' proof (although 'cocktail shaking' should of course be avoided.

Case closed for me. Thanks for all your comments!