Join now - be part of our community!

DSC-f707 - unknown problem

profile.country.da_DK.title
_lause_
Visitor

DSC-f707 - unknown problem

There may be some spelling-errors, english isn't my first language.

I'm sitting with my DSC-f707, and I can't figure out excactly what the problem is and if I can fix it (I know almost nothing about cameras).

About a week ago I was on holiday, and the camera was in by suitcase. I'd wrapped it in a towel to make sure it didn't get striked, since we were travelling by plane.

When I took out the camera later that day and tried to turn it on, the little green light were on for about 5 seconds, and then it turned off again. The screen didn't work either, it was just black, like the camera was still off. I tried to switch to 'finder' at the switch where you can switch from LCD to finder, but that didn't work either. I tried to turn the power on again multiple times, but it kept doing the same thing.

When I got home again the next week, I tried to take the battery and the memory stick out for a couple of minutes, but that made no difference. Then I tried resetting the camera. Now I can turn it on and the little green light doesn't turn off, but the screen and the 'finder' still doesn't work. The only visible difference between on and off, is the green light.

I don't know if the camera has been striked even though I wrapped it in a towel, 'cause I can't think of any other reason. The camera worked before the holiday.

I'd be very happy if someone with more knowledge about this could tell me what and where the problem is, and whether I can fix it myself or not.

Tags (3)
4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.en_GB.title
Mick2011
New

Hi Laura, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

If the green power light is the only sign of life there I'm afraid you need to get it checked out at a repair centre. It's almost certainly an internal fault which would require expert techincal analysis to properly diganose, let alone fix the problem.

Sony repairs can be arranged using this link. You can of course approach a local repairer, and repair services are often offered by high street camera retailers.

Cheers

Mick

profile.country.da_DK.title
_lause_
Visitor

Thanks! I'll try to find someone who can repair it. Do you know what it might cost?

profile.country.en_GB.title
austingrd
Visitor

Personally, not sure yet as any other technicians would do. They will need to open it up first, and see which part needs to be replaced and quote you.  

profile.country.GB.title
dmwilmo

A similar problem has recently occurred with my Sony SLT-A58 digital single lens camera?,

I switch it on in 'normal' fashion, it breifly shows what the lens sees on LCD screen on the back then goes 'blank'

An error message comes up on the LCD screen, ;'Camer Error, turn power off then on'?

I do as it 'advises', turn the camera off then on again with no response, other than the error message coming up

I changed the battery and tried it with a fresh battery, the acess lamp flickers then goes out, problem still remains

A person at the local Sony retail outlet in Bath, advised me to:

A. take the battery out, switch it on, and press the button to disccharge any residuall power in the camera?

B. link it to a PC via a USAB link cable , see if the camera registers on the PC, as it may be a software problem?