Join now - be part of our community!

U.S.B Hdd wont work on p.c when taken from t.v

profile.country.GB.title
jace1969

U.S.B Hdd wont work on p.c when taken from t.v

I have a sony kd-49x8309c and i have had a 250gb Dongle in it working fine but i dont need it anymore so wanted to use it in Laptop but windows 10 keep saying u.s.b no recognized and tried everything,do i have to do something on the t.v to make it back to a normal u.s.b.drive.

17 REPLIES 17
profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Another thought.

In Device Manager you could try right clicking the drive and selecting 'Uninstall'. Then go to 'Action' on the top menu line, left click action and select 'Scan for hardware changes'.

Then see if the drive is recognised.

profile.country.GB.title
jace1969

Hi there,here are the other things i have done.

.......I get code 43 error...........which i have tried all the stuff what causes this.

1.....update driver,says best driver in.

2....uninstall device,done and then put it back in with same problem.

3....scan for hardware changes,done and screen flicks so thats done.

I think were running out of things lol

Thanks a lot for coming up with stuff but never had this problem before.

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

Don't blame the TV, blame stupid windows......

Anyway, even if the disk is registered for recording it still can be used as portable drive on linux.I experimented a lot with different disks when that non-working feature came out and all the disk that I used still work fine.

Try downloading G-Parted live, burn it on the CD, boot it and then try to format your disk.

profile.country.GB.title
jace1969

Windows 10 can be a pain,was thinking trying it on my old xp but its finding it first.

I dont realy have any way of burning a disc or even have any disks to burn to as i never do that just all u.s.b stuff.

At the worse i will have to just face facts and say its a dead u.s.b but when its a 250gb and i know its fine im just

trying as many ways as i can.

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

You are right, I am running out of ideas... and I can't think of any else logical to try.

Personally I wouldn't give up yet though, but you are into time consuming experimentation. The GParted live is a good suggestion, or try a Linux Live CD which will run Linux from the disc without you having to install anything.

I've never had to try that as I've always been able to recover by other means but its a great suggestion of kinggo01

I see there are quite a few videos on Youtube for using Gparted. 

profile.country.GB.title
Mooly01
Contributor

Try looking at creating a Linux Live USB if you have the time. 

https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#0

profile.country.HR.title
kinggo01
Contributor

@jace1969 wrote:

I dont realy have any way of burning a disc or even have any disks to burn to as i never do that just all u.s.b stuff.

Then create bootable USB, it's the same. Just check your BIOS if UBS boot device is enabled.

profile.country.GB.title
jace1969

Ok,thanksyou all for your help with this.