Join now - be part of our community!

No Onscreen Volume Bar

dgethin
Explorer

No Onscreen Volume Bar

I purchased a Sony Bravia 43W805C yesterday, I have got a Panasonic Sound Bar SC-HTB480, connected them up, and the sound is great. The only problem I have got is, when I adjust the volume it does what it should do, but there is no volume bar on the TV screen.

I have connected it to the HDMI ARC connection.

Many Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@dgethin wrote:

I purchased a Sony Bravia 43W805C yesterday, I have got a Panasonic Sound Bar SC-HTB480, connected them up, and the sound is great. The only problem I have got is, when I adjust the volume it does what it should do, but there is no volume bar on the TV screen.

I have connected it to the HDMI ARC connection.

Many Thanks.

The, or an, ARC-enabled HDMI port on the TV and on the soundbar both, I hope?

But even with that, it can happen that the Sony has no idea what the volume is, as it has ceded control to the soundbar, passes your Sony remote keypresses to the Panny soundbar to do with as it thinks fit, and either the Panny does not send any volume status back, or it does but the Sony can't handle it.

i take it that 'Does what it should do' means that the volume goes up and down on the soundbar according to your presses on the Sony remote?

In which case, you have to read the volume off the soundbar.

in principle, the soundbar certainly could respond back to the Sony with its volume settings, and the Sony could display them, but this clearly isn't happening, and it could be either device causing this.

i have a couple of Samsung 55" TVs, one with a Samsung soundbar, and the other with a Yamaha one.  The Samsung soundbar feeds back a volume status, and the TV displays this, but this doesn't happen with the Yamaha.

This is one of the downsides of mixed makes; the downside of using the same make is that the Samsung soundbar is awful, while the Yammy is brilliant 🙂

it it might be worth checking if Panny soundbars integrate significantly better with Panny TVs and/or Sony with Sony.

And then, if you care enough about the problem, changing one device or the other,

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking