Join now - be part of our community!

BUG: Random restarts after updating to 6.0.1 v6.1004?

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

BUG: Random restarts after updating to 6.0.1 v6.1004?

I have got a 49XD8099 and recently updated (via USB) to the latest Android 6.0.1 version, v6.1004 (March 15 2017 release). I don't know if it has to do with the fact that after updating I could find out why I couldn't connect to the WiFi, and configured the tv to use WiFi accordingly, but since then I keep having the tv restarting Android randomly once or twice per day with the television in stand-by.

I first could notice it because after a reboot it goes to the HDMI 4 (since I don't have an antenna I have set it up that way to avoid turning on the PS4), and then checking with the side-loaded CPU-Z I can see the uptime. Now it just restarted in front of my eyes.

Again, the only difference is that I am now using WiFi. I'll try going back to wired and see if it happens again, still I am getting quite tired of this kind of issues. Anyone else getting the same problem?

109 REPLIES 109
profile.country.GB.title
guitarman60

For what it's worth I had exactly this behaviour after I updated to 3.865 on my 55" 8057C TV. I finally tracked down the problem to a faulty device on my home network. My setup is a little complex but once I removed the device that also caused a massive network storm taking all internet access in the house offline, ( and I've seen network storms but nothing this aggressive ). The TV has behaved flawlessly even noted an increase in response from my remotes and switching between sources. I urge all with this issue to double check all devices on their networks before resorting to the dreaded factory reset. I might have done one had the device, an Apple Time Capsule not failed completely. It's been almost 48 hours and the set is now stable again. Connecting it directly to your router at the source should tell you if your fault lies on your network with a piece of equipment, or that the television has issues unrelated. Hope all with the fault get it tracked down and fixed soon. 

Regards

jeff

Jeffrey Cooper
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

Ive added this issue to the bugs/issues list:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/android-tv-bugs-and-issues/m-p/2330819#M19208

Cheers

profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

I can't narrow this problem down any further. I 'force stopped' several apps and also disabled 'Guide update in standby'. It still happens once or twice a day when the TV is in standby, mostly around midnight and noon according to the uptime command.

I assume that some driver crashes on resuming from deep sleep.

Icephantom
Explorer

I have just joined this forum today to add my interest in this issue. Since updating to 6.0.1. v 6.1004. I too am having the TV randomly reboot itself for no reason that I can see. I have a model kdl-75w855c and before the update, I didn't have this issue. Now, its always less than 48hrs and I get a random reboot. Sometimes, I can be playing a game on my PC (connected via HDMI), suddenly the screen freezes, sound goes off, then a reboot occurs. Sometimes I could be watching a film via my serviio server (connected via lan wire conector - RJ45), again, screen freezes, sound goes off, TV reboots. :cry:

Some of my films no longer stream properly either - very juddery, when before they worked fine. I've had to re-compress some of my films in a different format to get them to work again - very frustrating.

Before the update, I never had any of these issues. I was hoping to get some extra features in the 'Video' dlna menu system, i.e. menu wrapping, so when you get to the bottom of a list, it auto-wraps to the top of the list, instead of having to go all the way back up, or the addition of a media pixel size in the 'Information' option (i.e. 1920 x 1080) - more useful than knowing how big a file is.

Anyway, none of the things I wanted appeared, and all I did was give myself a load of problems on the TV which I didn't have before ....... Now I've got to hope they bring out a future update and hope it doesn't make things even worse ...... I'd be tempted to leave things as they are, but when gaming, to loose your screen in mid-battle is no good at all, so I'm going to be forced to try the next update (if they do one) .......... :worried:

profile.country.GB.title
guitarman60

I've never had the juddering, but have had the restarts. I had to isolate each piece of equipment attached to my network and the tv, finally discovered that the culprit was my Apple time capsule which was providing the tv with internet connectivity. I'd do the same thing, disconnect all that isn't required for basic operation, then after a few hours of trouble free operation without restarts, try adding things in one at a time and see if that helps you to identity the problem. 

Its a a long winded process, but I also have a complex network setup and this was how I found the problem. I'd look in particular at your server connection as you also described juddering which could be a bad network cable on either end. 

If if you have unmanaged switches they should be okay but still worth checking. A basic direct from modem or hub connection to the tv is a good place to start. 

Hope me you get this fixed. 

Kind regards

jeff

Jeffrey Cooper
Icephantom
Explorer

I appreciate the reply Jeff, but I'm not sure how this assists me ?

The computer is plugged in via an HDMI socket - nothing to do with network. If I unplug the network cable from the TV with no other network device attached (I don't use wi-fi), no USB devices attached (I don't have anything attached that way anyway) no Bluetooth devices attched (Don't have any of these either - and No, I don't even own a mobile phone or any other mobile device because being too near to wireless signals makes me ill. I even have to give a wide berth to microwave ovens I'm that bad with them), and I just play on my computer (via the HDMI) - the TV still reboots usually once a day, but no more than 48hrs before it does.

Now, granted the computer is plugged into the network, but thats not the TV, so the TV has nothing network attached and its still happening. I only mentioned my Serviio server because thats yet another time when the TV has rebooted, but it does it no matter what I'm doing - watching set-top box, playing a bluray disk, playing computer ........ it happens regardless, when it didn't happen before the update (perhaps once in a blue moon) ..... whilst I'm open to suggestion, I still have to put this issue down to the update as the TV wasn't like this before the update.

The juddering I mentioned is down to anything I compressed using the .m4v extension streaming via my serviio server. I've changed many of my films which I compressed in that format to matroska .mkv format, and they play ok, yet before the update, both formats played fine, so I'm unsure how the same film coming from the same server in 2 different formats, one plays fine, the other judders like mad - yet this only starts happening when the TV has a firmware / software update ?

Again, if you can think of anything I might have missed, I'd appreciate any assistance. I haven't bothered contacting Sony as from many of the replies on the forum about issues since the update, Sony have been far from helpful in solving, well as far as I can tell, ANYONE's issue as of yet ......... there has only been talk of a couple of 'workarounds'. My TV is less than 6 months old and ....... 'Workarounds' ?? ...... doesn't sound good for those of us looking for a permanent solution, and none of the workarounds address my personal issues. As I say, I have to hope that Sony decides to release yet another update and I'll be forced to try it, hoping it doesn't make matters worse. :worried: :disappointed:

Maybe they'll release a downgrade option - I wish I'd never downloaded this update. :rolling_eyes:

profile.country.GB.title
iaboard40

I have a 5 month old KD-559305 which just had a new LD Board fitted Part No.A2094368B (due to total power fail). Following the fit of the new board latest firmware PKG3.865.01036EUB auto installed and since then I cant connect to my Router wirelessly and TV reboots intermittently. I have tried the 'Power off at wall then hold down on button and Vol- button until green light' etc etc but my TV does not reboot twice like it says it should. I have tried this many times but when I let go of the buttons with the green light on ...the TV is just 'OFF' no matter how long i wait.All this has been fed back to Sony but i expect no help at all, from them with this and to be honest I m getting to the point where i will be requesting a full refund as its ridiculous that not a day goes by without a problem or the threat of a reboot right in the middle of a program. Totally fed up with Sony......any ideas anyone. Thanks for reading

Ian B

Tags (1)
Anonymous
Not applicable

@iaboard40 wrote:

Following the fit of the new board latest firmware PKG3.865.01036EUB auto installed and since then I cant connect to my Router wirelessly and TV reboots intermittently.

Hi there

Do you have a network cable already plugged into the TV - if so, this is preventing you from wifi access:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/android-tv-bugs-and-issues/m-p/2331607#M19275

profile.country.GB.title
iaboard40

Hello, I have got an Ethernet attached, I will try it without. Thanks for the contact. Cheers Ian B

Sent from my iPhone
profile.country.GB.title
guitarman60

Please let us know how it goes, as it can be of benefit to others with the same issue. 

Jeffrey Cooper