Join now - be part of our community!

BUG: Random restarts after updating to 6.0.1 v6.1004?

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

BUG: Random restarts after updating to 6.0.1 v6.1004?

I have got a 49XD8099 and recently updated (via USB) to the latest Android 6.0.1 version, v6.1004 (March 15 2017 release). I don't know if it has to do with the fact that after updating I could find out why I couldn't connect to the WiFi, and configured the tv to use WiFi accordingly, but since then I keep having the tv restarting Android randomly once or twice per day with the television in stand-by.

I first could notice it because after a reboot it goes to the HDMI 4 (since I don't have an antenna I have set it up that way to avoid turning on the PS4), and then checking with the side-loaded CPU-Z I can see the uptime. Now it just restarted in front of my eyes.

Again, the only difference is that I am now using WiFi. I'll try going back to wired and see if it happens again, still I am getting quite tired of this kind of issues. Anyone else getting the same problem?

109 REPLIES 109
profile.country.AT.title
Kuschelmonschter
Hero

It is just about switching off all networking capabilities (LAN and WLAN). Obviously VPN won't work anymore afterwards...

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Ow.. so you mean to put the tv offline? Hmm.. nope, that's indeed not what I was looking for! lol

profile.country.GB.title
TobiasRieper315

Hi, Sony emailed me back with their standard generic response of performing a factory reset. I'm reluctant to do this as I simply don't trust Sony and their so called 'expertise'. 

Is switching off and unplugging everything an alternative, what do you guys recommend as I'm still getting the random restart!!??

What are the implications of performing a factory reset in laymans terms? What do I need to be aware of...

Thanks 

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

It's simple: don't do it. To do a reset to factory settings is a pain in the neck, because everything needs to be downloaded and configured again and it will hardly change anything. Something must be bugged at system level. At least in 6.0.1.

Since the reboots happen during stand-by (at least they are the ones we are talking about in this thread) they are not that annoying either. Actually from a point of view they even have the benefit of refreshing the system once in a while. Otherwise if you don't ever use any smart feauture you may try switching off the network entirely (which I suppose it's done switching off the WiFi and without connecting an ethernet cable).

profile.country.GB.title
TobiasRieper315

Hi Jecht Sin,

Thanks for reply.

Mine happens when I'm actually physically watching the TV.  It will reboot/restart as if you have done a soft reset from the remote control???

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Then in that case try first removing any attached device. Both USB and HDMI (although the latter I am not sure they matter). Also with the tv in stand-by disconnect and reconnect the power cord (I thought it shouldn't matter but with a crazy situation I had it has been the only thing helping). Oh, also try to put it offline, as explained before.

If it still reboots, yes, I am afraid you should try a reset to factory settings. Maybe take some pictures of your custom settings (like the ones for the image) and apps installed first, if any. Also I've seen you can export your tv channel list in case you organised them in a different way (never tried myself, though).

I mean, it's a very safe process. It's just that if you have much stuff installed and configured it gets very tedious.

profile.country.GB.title
TobiasRieper315

Thanks Jecht,

I will do this in the next few days.

However, Do you think a future software update when released by Sony will correct the problem? 

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Well.. that's the idea behind the Operative System (Android in this case) updates: to fix the bugs. My problem is that I am not very confident at Mediatek they are capable or committed enough to fully fix them. I mean, in the majority of cases a system reboot is caused by the kernel (although with Android, having also the Java Virtual Machine, it gets more complicated). And the kernel is developed by Mediatek. Which has various kind of issues. USB for starting, that's a pure mess, at least with my USB devices.

But what I can tell you is that in my case the stand-by reboots (which are different from yours) seem to have been fixed in 7.0. I mean, in the time passed after the upgrade from 6.0.1 to 7.0 I would have already had at least half a dozen reboots. I had none.

profile.country.GB.title
Jecht_Sin
Enthusiast

Just an update: I've never got any other reboot in stand-by after upgrading to 7.0. On the other hand I have got few with the televison alive. Once few minutes after starting playing the PS4. Once browsing the web and a couple more I don't remember exactly in which situation. The most surprising has been the one while playing the PS4. I mean, I was even idle, talking at the phone.

profile.country.GB.title
TobiasRieper315

"On the other hand I have got few with the televison alive"

Yes, me too, so you have now been experiencing the same issues as me !? 😞