Join now - be part of our community!

Bravia Sync - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K

profile.country.GB.title
Graeme1978

Bravia Sync - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K

I've recently purchased an Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K and connected it to my XF8096 TV.

I'm having a small problem with the Bravia Sync. When I press the Home button on the Fire Stick, my understanding is that it is supposed to switch input to the HDMI port that the Fire Stick is plugged into (HDMI4) but that doesn't happen. I have to manually select HDMI4 from the TV remote control.

I've gone into the Bravia Sync settings, but the Fire Stick isn't listed, and come to think of it neither was the Xbox One that was plugged into HDMI4 before the Fire Stick.

Any ideas as to what the issue might be?

Many thanks.

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Hi @Graeme1978  did you already check that both the TV and firestick have their own HDMI-CEC setting enabled?

Step 1. Enable HDMI-CEC on Your TV
The first step in enabling HDMI-CEC is to enable it on your TV. Almost every TV brand has an alternative name for CEC, therefore you will have to find the particular name for your TV’s brand. Once you know the alterative name, look for it in your TVs settings menu and enable it. (for Sony you already know is BraviaSync)

Step 2. Click ‘Settings’ on Fire TV
CEC is enabled by default in the Fire TV but just to be sure or enable it in case you had disabled it, you have start by clicking on ‘Settings’ on your home screen.

Step 3. Click on ‘Display and Sounds’
Click on ‘Display and Settings’ and you should see the name of HDMI-CEC in the list and whether it is enabled or disabled.

Step 4. Enable HDMI-CEC.

BTW what's the use of a firestick on an AndroidTV?

profile.country.GB.title
Graeme1978

It’s definitely all enabled. With the Fire Stick running, I open the Bravia Sync menu from the Action Menu on the TV and it only sees the other 3 HDMI devices.

Given that the Xbox One never switch input automatically either I’m wondering if there’s an issue with this HDMI port? I’ll confirm the theory tomorrow by connecting the Fire Stick to another HDMI port and then see if the Bravia Sync menu can see it.

As for why the Fire Stick, having tried one I found it to be much more responsive than built-in TV apps. Everything is much slicker.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Xbox one X AFAIK does not support HDMICEC so it will never work. It could be that there is some other device that prevent the firestick from working. 

profile.country.GB.title
giocuppi
Explorer

Just commenting on "what's the use of a firestick on an AndroidTV?":

Sony Android TV has far less apps than Amazon Fire and also does not show the Prime TV <Library> (Film purchased on Prime).

Sony TV is Google oriented and, for example, if one uses the voice search, no Amazon Prime results are displayed [at the moment I also had no Netflix results, only Google films].

On my Android phone I can see my Amazon Prime purchased TV shows and Movies therefore I expected to be able to see them also using the Sony Android TV' Amazon Prime app but this is not the case. I found, personally, that this is a major flaw.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@giocuppi 

@giocuppi  ha scritto:

Just commenting on "what's the use of a firestick on an AndroidTV?":

Sony Android TV has far less apps than Amazon Fire and also does not show the Prime TV <Library> (Film purchased on Prime).

Sony TV is Google oriented and, for example, if one uses the voice search, no Amazon Prime results are displayed [at the moment I also had no Netflix results, only Google films].

It is quite the opposite: both platforms are based on the same Google's Android TV but firestick has no access to Google's play store, so if you want to have all the apps available on there you should find an .apk an try to install it unless it is also available on Amazon Store.

For the search engine, it is not up to the OS but to the contents made available from the specific app, so it is up to Amazon to make them available and it seems they prefer to give a better user experience on their own product :wink:

On my Android phone I can see my Amazon Prime purchased TV shows and Movies therefore I expected to be able to see them also using the Sony Android TV' Amazon Prime app but this is not the case. I found, personally, that this is a major flaw.

Again it is not the OS that deliver the features of an app, it is an Amazon choice (personally does not impact me at all since in Italy you don't have the possibility to buy anything extra apart for what is already available with the prime subscription.

But after all it costs so few pounds/euro  that if you like it it makes sense to have it.

profile.country.GB.title
giocuppi
Explorer

Grazie per la spiegazione :slight_smile:

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

@giocuppi  ha scritto:

Grazie per la spiegazione :slight_smile:

😅 e perchè @giocuppi mi fai scrivere in inglese? :wink:

profile.country.GB.title
giocuppi
Explorer

Mica sapevo che tu fossi in Italia 🙃😀

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Se noti c'è una bandierina sull'immagine del mio avatar :wink:

comunque la community italiana è molto più attiva di quella inglese, vieni a trovarci lì