Join now - be part of our community!

ARC Dolby Digital Plus failure with Yamaha RX-V375

stu-e2
Explorer

ARC Dolby Digital Plus failure with Yamaha RX-V375

I'm a proud owner of a new 65x95j. I am having a problem with Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) selected for the ARC connection to my trusty Yamaha RX-V375 AV receiver. If I select Dolby Digital (DD) it works. If I select DD+ the Yamaha goes silent and the display says "Decoder off" Which means it is not receiving any signal. If I then manually change the input on the Yamaha and then back again to the ARC input, it works. However I have to do this every time the TV is turned off and on again or when the audio changes to a different format.

I've tried different high speed HDMI cables including a HDMI Ultra Certified Cable.

I can also confirm DTS works ok via ARC.

The Yamaha has been working with a Fire TV stick with DD+ so this format is supported at least on a regular HDMI input.

26 REPLIES 26
profile.country.FI.title
siikki
Explorer

My TV is KD-55XE8505 but I have same kind of problem. It could be Sony's fault? If I connect Chromecast Ultra straight to Yamaha, it can decode Dolby Digital + without problems.

I have this with Yamaha HTR-4065. Using Disney+ app and Dolby Digital +, no audio. Have to do same input changing: AV4(ARC) -> some other -> AV4(ARC) then it starts decoding audio, BUT if I pause video I have to do same thing again! When audio is working, Yamaha shows bitrate as "---", so is the problem with Sony? Sending some weird signal? Do I have to contact Sony straight?

profile.country.FI.title
siikki
Explorer

Here's a video of it. It bugs out if I connect Chromecast to TV.. Tried other cable and no change of behavior. Made fast video of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moGZLNGGMdM

ARC problem with Dolby Digital + audio with Sony KD-55XE8505. First one is Chromecast Ultra connected straight to Yamaha AV back and it feeds video to TV. Works flawlessly. Second part is playing from Sony app and feeding audio thru HDMI ARC. To get audio one needs to click AV4(ARC) -- other input
profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Hey guys, the only common factor between you two is the YAMAHA sound system. I doubt it's a Sony issue.

Anyway, try unplugging all external devices and the TV from the mains for two minutes then try again.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

Indeed there seems to be some problem with arc on old yamaha receivers... https://www.avforums.com/threads/arc-problem-with-yamaha-receiver.1879238/

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

@ rooobb thanks! Didn't know about that.

profile.country.FI.title
siikki
Explorer

This is kinda "funny". Chromecast connected straight to Yamaha's HDMI input, sound (DD+) works great. Also other codec works with ARC -> Sony & Yamaha (PCM, Dolby Digital), but not "+". Yeah It's probably some handshake(?), problem as it works after fiddling with inputs. Also CI+ CAM-module doesn't work in new television, but works in old Panasonic, fix is to buy new one.

Got to love "upgrading" to new tech, LoL. Happy weekend everyone 🤣

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

It is not strange that straight to an HDMI input the chromecast is working fine: HDMI input were designed for that scope since verso 1.0. ARC was introduced later (1.4 if i remember correctly) as an audio return channel on an HDMI output socket, and eARC far later within the 2.1 specification (even if it works also on 2.0). So there could be incompatibilities between hardware of different age. It is not good, but it is the way it is unfortunately

profile.country.GB.title
HannahEd01
Community Team

Happy weekend 😂😂 @siikki

profile.country.CZ.title
Patrikbohm
Explorer

Hello. Its a same problem. Tv 65XF9005 Av receiver Yamaha HTR-3065. DD+ over ARC funcional over year. Now not after hard reset tv settings. Sometimes after 20 attemps DD+ run, but i cant stop. 

Where is problem? Last updates? 

I try Chromest to Tv Hdmi and DD+ running every 2-3times to play films. 

Try Chromecast to Receiver HDMI work DD+ fine.