Join now - be part of our community!

Basics

profile.country.en_GB.title
Karazhan
Visitor

Basics

Hi evereyone, I had just joined Sony Community as a a77 another owner, would like to ask all of You few questions that actually I have no simple answer for them.

I am also user of a prehistoric "Konica Minolta Dynax 5D" and I was keep doing few things to maximize performance of my camera, but I am aware of using few of these methods with a77.

First thing was my battery. Because I bought KM D5D as "used" camera I didn't know how long can it work as it was relised in 2006 so I didn't invest in battery grip. To maximize my battery I was keep taking it out of the camera while for example - not in use, and even while changing place "of interest" during winter time (at all times). I know It's an old camera and has actually not that much systems needs to be connected with any power supply so I know it did not affect my camera much. But, I am aware of taking battery out / putting back in a77 cause it might have some systems that just might need that battery (especially while switching off). Ofcourse I am going to buy battery grip anyway for that camera, but well...I just get used to taking battery out and also I know I just might forget to charge battery grip. My question is - will that "taking battery out" - and keeping it from not being used will extend it's life? Does it actually make any sense... To be honest this method gives me possibility to shoot over 1500 photos even when there was cold outside (with ex/in-ternal lamp also - RAW pictures).

I'll post more soon.

Thank's in advance for Your advise.

Message was edited by: Karazhan

Message was edited by: Karazhan

5 REPLIES 5
Mick2011
New

Hi Karazhan, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

While there are sometimes small 'power leakages' with cameras left unused for quite long periods of time, in general there is no advantage to removing the battery, especially if you shoot quite regularly.

Removing the battery for an extended period shouldn't cause any real issues but you will effectively reset the camera each time, losing any/all presets and settings you've saved.

I simply carry a fully charged spare with me... never let me down yet :cool:

Cheers

Mick

Karazhan
Visitor

Hi, thank's for reply, but aren't actually all the camera settings (as I don't really need real time locked with pictures) saved on memory card? As I had that with KM D5D (at least i think so 😜 ).

As You are saying, I will rather not do that again ; ]

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello Karazhan :slight_smile:

The settings for this model are stored on the camera - which is why an extended period without a battery will eventually reset the settings as there is no power to keep them stored.

Thanks,

Simon

Karazhan
Visitor

I would like to ask, why Sony makes differences with warranty for some countries? There are few with at least "24 months" warranty, is it true? And...how can it work that way - is it "sony marketing" ?

Mick2011
New

Sony products are marketed according to region, yes. In effect, there are different administrations for each region and warranties not only vary from region to region, they are often not valid outside of those regions.

The reason is largely to do with variations in technical specifications such as power supply and broadcast standards, but it does mean there can be some variance in trading terms and conditions.

Mick