Join now - be part of our community!

58.1.A.3.87 Sony Xperia 1II

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
StudioMad
Explorer

58.1.A.3.87 Sony Xperia 1II

My phone just updated to 58.1.A.3.87.  The internet shows nothing about this.  Bit worrying.  Any clue what this was fixing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
TheGreatGeneral
Explorer

I too received this new 58.1.A.3.87 update this morning on my Xperia 5ii. After looking through the settings it looks like Sony have stealth dropped the rumoured External Monitor App for both Xperia 1ii and 5ii. 

The App along with new firmware allows you to use the phone as a monitor via the USB Type-C charging port. 

XperiaScreenshot_01.jpgXperiaScreenshot_02.jpg

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
ezy2ezy
Contributor

Sony sadly hasn't given changelogs for a coupe of years now.

However there will be regular (near monthly) updates like this for the Android security patches alone.

I have found my "Customised UK" version of the 5ii bought from Sony direct on pre-launch has updated the security to Feb21  (you can check in the settings menu under security)  but also the phone is very zippy when scrolling between screens or menus - something that had noticeably become sluggish/jerky/laggy when it updated to 11 from 10

So don't worry, it is normally the pushed Security updates that are the reason for the update - actually far from being concerned at what needed the update you may find yourself soon moving into the other camp of owners asking "why haven't they updated this feature." After a year many Xperia owners tend to vent when they feel Sony has stopped tweaking their phones in the same way as Apple (who stole Sony's design ethos to become successful some argue) do for their handsets long after they replace the model with a new one.  

So far I have found this to be a very welcome update.  What else it has brought, is a bit like finding one of those old "easter eggs" developers left in programs and DVDs :wink:     I am not sure but the Pro Camera app seems to be slightly different ?

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

Battery Drain has stopped, phone is nippier between screens/apps, updated to security patch level February 1st, 2021 and the Pro camera app changed last update.

profile.country.GB.title
StudioMad
Explorer

Very good feedback.   I thought I was special as I could not see many people posting about it. 😁 In fact none.  Google was having an off day I think.  Even now this appears as the first few threads mentioning it. I guessed it was the security updates but even without the background info.  I ran the optimiser support thing and it deleted hundreds of mb and disabled a few things.  Cant remember what things, so that's a lot of help on my part lol. 

profile.country.GB.title
TheGreatGeneral
Explorer

I too received this new 58.1.A.3.87 update this morning on my Xperia 5ii. After looking through the settings it looks like Sony have stealth dropped the rumoured External Monitor App for both Xperia 1ii and 5ii. 

The App along with new firmware allows you to use the phone as a monitor via the USB Type-C charging port. 

XperiaScreenshot_01.jpgXperiaScreenshot_02.jpg

That option was there for me since the beginning so, it isn't new.

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

And as of last night, my 1II is now running Android 11 version 58.1.A.5.55.