Join now - be part of our community!

Obtaining IP Address Loop

SOLVED
OneManLaptop
Visitor

Obtaining IP Address Loop

I have been happily using my Xperia Tablet at my parents home over Christmas, but on arriving home, my tablet cannot connect to my WiFi, as it seems to be locked in a loop, constantly "Obtaining IP Address". This is the same wireless network my Xperia SP connects to without problem, along with my Sony Tablet S, PS3, PS4, Vita, PSP, Wii U and a range of other devices.

I have read the FAQ (http://talk.sonymobile.com/t5/FAQ/Wi-Fi-problems/m-p/348104#U348104) which other customers have been directed to, but nothing helps. I have performed a factory reset of the tablet and it still cannot connect.

As this appears to be a persisten problem with Android, I have found two solutions, neither of which are suitable.

1) Static IP (http://forums.androidcentral.com/android-4-4-kitkat/389344-obtaining-ip-address-loop-stock-kitkat-4-...)

I have attempted to give my tablet a static IP, but whilst this shows the tablet as having successfully connected, none of my internet services actually work, and all apps tell me I am offline, or unable to connect to the internet.

2) Fix Permissions (http://androidforums.com/threads/easy-real-wifi-fix-for-obtaining-ip-address-loop-found-by-me.583407...)

There appears to be an error with the dhcpcd permissions in the way the settings have been set up, which is causing this loop. However to fix this myself, I would need root access, and I don't feel I should be forced into tinkering with the device in this manner, simply to regain core functionality for this brand new device.

So that's where I'm up to. I'm open to any and all suggestions, but as is, this device is useless to me, and I fear my only options are either to return it for a refund or wait until the Android 5.0 update drops, and which will hopefully resolve the problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
OneManLaptop
Visitor

Thank you very much.

I switched to WPA2 as you said (someting I had tried before) but couldn't find where to configure the AES setting. So I dug a little deeper and in the network tab I found an option called Router Mode. Curently it was set to Off (Bridge Mode) so I switched that to DHCP and NAT and hey presto, everything connects.

Totally thrilled that I can now use my tablet as intended. Thanks to both yourself and Thommo for all the assistance.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Thommo
Genius

Sometimes it can be a firmware issue in that it doesn't like some SSID's or characters used in a network key - So you could try changing your routers name or network key but if you do that and it works then everything else wifi will need to be amended

OneManLaptop
Visitor

It was a good suggestion, but it still looped through the "Obtaining IP Address". I changed it to just a network name of sony with a password of test123456789.

So yeah, I really don't know what to do with it now. Hold out for the 5.0 update and hope it fixes things, buy a new router (Ive just noticed it is from 2006, but it still works without problem with everything else) or just return it... Such a shame as I've found it to be a great device.

Thommo
Genius

You could try an old school approach and change the encryption type to WEP

OneManLaptop
Visitor

Yeah, I'm afraid I tried cycling through all the different security types, but to no avail. Thanks for your suggestions though.

OneManLaptop
Visitor

Found a thread with a very good summary of the problem:

"CAUTION: For anyone reading this thread, and who is squeamish about rooting or hacking files:
Your only option, and this is only a poor workaround, is to use a static IP address. This may or may not work. If you don't understand the concept and installation of static IP's, your only choice is to not use access points using WEP security. 

The problem is an Android bug. The patch seems to be very slow in making its way to the user community. WEP is a very insecure way to secure an access point. Moving to WPA is more secure and avoids the above stated bug. If you cannot change from WEP to WPA and using a static IP fails, in two words: you're screwed. Sorry, but there it is."

http://androidforums.com/threads/obtaining-ip-address-loops-on-dhcp-error.807155/

Weird thing is, my router does show that I'm using WPA/WPA2 for security, so I've no idea why I'm being effected by this. 😕

OneManLaptop
Visitor

I can at least connect via tethering from my SP. I wonder if any of the third party wifi managers can help?

SergioPL1
Contributor

Check in your ruter settings if you can set WPA2-PSK (so called Personal or Preshared Key) with AES encryption. No WPA/WPA2 but WPA2 only and the same for key only AES without TKIP.

Then try again. But it may not support older PSP models. I assume that you tried the most basic thing - power cycle your ruter/accesspoint?

OneManLaptop
Visitor

Thank you very much.

I switched to WPA2 as you said (someting I had tried before) but couldn't find where to configure the AES setting. So I dug a little deeper and in the network tab I found an option called Router Mode. Curently it was set to Off (Bridge Mode) so I switched that to DHCP and NAT and hey presto, everything connects.

Totally thrilled that I can now use my tablet as intended. Thanks to both yourself and Thommo for all the assistance.

SergioPL1
Contributor

Cool! Smiling_Face_with_Sunglasses