Join now - be part of our community!

Copy >TO< external SD card

profile.country.en_GB.title
leon2112
Visitor

Copy >TO< external SD card

I've seen that it's been confirmed several times that files can be copied from the external SD card to internal storage.

However is the reverse true?

For Android Market apps, can they read/write to the external SD card?

Specifically for me, I am planning on keeping lecture notes/articles in PDF format on my SD card. Will I then be able to read and annotate them (using apps such as EZPDF or RepligoReader) and save the annotated versions directly to the external SD?

Or will I have to copy them to internal memory and save annotated versions there?

(This will likely factor into whether I purchase the Tablet S or not.)

Thanks all,

Leon

PS: one more question. Is there a music player (with a library) which can see music on both memories?

Message was edited by: leon2112

Message was edited by: leon2112

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
sehuxle

I'm fairly sure that apps only save to the internal storage, but not saying that for certain. I've not got my tablet with me so cannot check. However you may be able to move them using file manager HD.

As for the music player, you get two music players but they only look at the internal storage. This is certainly something that needs be changed in future updates.

profile.country.en_GB.title
leon2112
Visitor

Hm, k thanks for the reply.

Can the port cover close with a SD card inserted?

profile.country.GB.title
sehuxle

Yes, it's designed for a standard SD card

profile.country.nl_NL.title
breedBenR

What you can do:

You can copy any files from and to the external SDcard (named Sdcard2), using a Filemanager App from the Market

You can store any media content (video, photo, music, ebook), either on the two parts of internal memory (about 3.2 GB of it called Internal Memory, about 8.9 GB called 'Sdcard', on a 16GB tablet) or on the external memory (e.g. 32GB more).

What you cannot do:

If you want to install apps, you can ONLY use the two parts of internal memory.

You can access files on the sdcard from any app that allows to browse it, but you cannot RUN the app from there.

You can store copies of .APK files on the external sdcard, to install apps from there when you need them.

Not all Apps index the media content on the /mnt/sdcard2 by default.

Most apps from the market via a setting allow to do this.

Some of the Sony apps still await an update for that.