Join now - be part of our community!

WHY ARENT SONT RECALLING THESE NOTEBOOK BATTERYS???

steelem
Visitor

WHY ARENT SONT RECALLING THESE NOTEBOOK BATTERYS???

Hello all I have an FE21-M & noticed an issue a few months ago that the laptop battery was red hot - & i mean really hot - i also noticed the performance of battery to be really poor but just thought this was down to Vista - 2 days ago my battery was not detected & has subsequently I think it may be dead - I have doen some read ups & believe Sony should be recalling these batteries as they are hazardous & could catch Fire - pls see the threads it looks like all other manufacturers are now recalling batteries made by sony - but why hasnt sony recalled on our laptops??

http://news.cnet.com/Sony-to-launch-notebook-battery-recall/2100-1044_3-6128814.html

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hello all I have an FE21-M & noticed an issue a few months ago that the laptop battery was red hot - & i mean really hot - i also noticed the performance of battery to be really poor but just thought this was down to Vista - 2 days ago my battery was not detected & has subsequently I think it may be dead - I have doen some read ups & believe Sony should be recalling these batteries as they are hazardous & could catch Fire - pls see the threads it looks like all other manufacturers are now recalling batteries made by sony - but why hasnt sony recalled on our laptops??

http://news.cnet.com/Sony-to-launch-notebook-battery-recall/2100-1044_3-6128814.html

Hi steelem,

affected battery were recalled for the following models..

VAIO models with VGP-BPS2B:
VGN-FE11S, VGN-FE11M, VGN-FE11H, VGN-FE11SR, VGN-FE11MR

VAIO models with VGP-BPS3A:
VGN-T2XP/L, VGN-T2XP/S, VGN-T2XRP/S

Use the following link to view further details: Voluntary Battery replacement program

steelem
Visitor

thanks for th reply m8 but why isnt the fe21m on this list - there are loads of us with all the same complaint ie battery dead - i have a 5yr old dell with its original battery & a sony vaio 1.5yr with a dead one - pls explain that sony -

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

thanks for th reply m8 but why isnt the fe21m on this list - there are loads of us with all the same complaint ie battery dead - i have a 5yr old dell with its original battery & a sony vaio 1.5yr with a dead one - pls explain that sony -

Hi steelem,

I suspect that the FE21M's battery weren't affected and therefore not included in the voluntary battery replacement program..

All I can suggest is that you contact Vaio support again, you can do this either by phone or via e-Support, use the following link to find the contact details: Sony Vaio Support

steelem
Visitor

ye i have just awaiting a mail back - but i think we all know what they ll say - so will need other forum members with the same issue to come fwd pls - as this is gonna be a long hard slog to get them to replace

martijnverbeek
Visitor

VGP-BPS2C
175663412-2019538

stopped working after 14 months.

What can i do?

Martijn

JKehelly
Visitor

The battery in my FE21M died after about 18 months for no reason I could figure out at the time which made me think the whole machine was dead. Had I known more at the time I would have looked at the battery but since it had been working perfectly up till then I just assumed it was a complete system failure so went out and bought a new (non-sony) laptop :slight_frown:

svenmoose
Visitor

I have exactly the same problem, after about 16 months, not covered by Sony anymore despite the fact that I have a three year warranty..

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi

unfortunately batteries are classed as a consumable item are only covered by a six months guarantee..

kichimera
Visitor

I regret that I am forced to admit that I have been very VERY disappointed by my Vaio. The battery too went within thirteen months. The first replacement was "not recognised" by the system due to some clever protectionist software onboard. Constant restarts are required by Windows Explorer. MS reports it is due to the Bluetooth driver and to contact Sony, but the driver is "up to date". Really it is just an expensive desktop because the battery lasts about half an hour only, and so I am forever tied to the wall socket. BTW it is a VGN-FE41S. :slight_frown: