Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Vaio VGN-FE41S Hard Drive

rareair04
Visitor

Sony Vaio VGN-FE41S Hard Drive

Hi Gang,

My hard drive went pop lat week in my Vaio FE41S. It was a 160GB (4200RPM) Sata drive.

I purchased a new 160GB (5400RPM) Sata drive and installed it. Did a full system recovery. Everything was ok. However, everytime I boot up, the hard drive activity light remains on, flashes constantly as though it is trying to process something. This morning I turned the machine on and left it for half hour only to come back and see the light is still blinking away. I have not got any processes running in the background and so its baffling me as to why this light should be constantly on.

Is there something that I missed during the install, or do I have a duff drive?

Any help would be appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.en_GB.title
trmante74
Visitor

Hi,

I have a Z series laptop about 6 months old & seen similar recently.

I have not changed the original C drive which is a 320 Gig Toshiba drive.

However on 2 occasions the laptop would be working fine and suddently yellow disk light would stay on constantly (although no disk activity).
The laptop then continues to run fine with light on full.
This has occured twice and when does happen, the laptop will not shutdown correctly - it hanges to a black screen. Only fix is to hold power button to reset.
Laptop then boots & all is fine.

This has happened twice recently & Im not sure why - any ideas welcome.

(I suspected a HDD fault & completed a CHKDSK - but not sure if this fixed it - its been fine since last disk light problem)

Cheers,

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I would suspect the culprit is the dreaded Vista Search Indexing which decides at the most inappropriate times to index the hard drive - this would be very likely to happen when installing another hard drive. Yet another feature to hate in Vista.

If you want to restrict the files to be indexed or even turn indexing off altogether, have a look here: -

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/speed-up-or-disable-windows-search-indexing-in-vista/

:wink:

rareair04
Visitor

Blencogo!!

You the man! Many thanks for your input, as always you are a life saver. Many thanks
Laptop is running much better now, thanks so much.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Glad it worked for you!!!

:smileygrin: