Join now - be part of our community!

Restore Applications after Vista x64 install

luzivuzi
Visitor

Restore Applications after Vista x64 install

hi there,

i don´t know if there´s allready a thread for this since search doesn´t work... so forgive me, if these are allready discussed questions.

last week i bought a VGN-FW21M with pre-installed Vista 32bit. since 32bit can´t make use of the 4GB of RAM i decided to install Vista x64. took me a while to find all the drivers, but i did it and it works just fine (why does sony even sell 4GB RAM machines with 32bit OS? whatever...)

the problem now is, that of cours all the pre-installed software-apps are gone missing too. espescially Roxio Creator 10 and WinDVD i would like to get back. i paid for them when buying the notebook, so why should i pay again? and without them (or anything like them) i can´t make much use of the blu-ray drive...

any idea how i can obtain the licence keys of the software?

thx for any help on this issue

ps: i made a system backup with the sony tool before clean-installing vista x64, so the packed data is available (.mod files). just no idea how to get any information out of them...

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi luzivuzi and welcome to Club Vaio.

Bad News!!

In Europe ALL the preinstalled software is considered part of the Sony OEM installation. If you change the Operating System, you lose all the software applications and you will have to buy replacements for everything.

As far as I am aware, there is no way of recovering this software without reinstalling the OEM Operating System.

:slight_frown:

luzivuzi
Visitor

hi there,

and thnx for the welcome 😉

well, after spending the whole afternoon surfing round and figuring out the problem, i kinda feared that this would be so.
thnx anyway for making that clear. i´ll see what i can get to make this work again...

still don´t get it, why this notebook ships with a 32bit OS...

so thnx and have a nice weekend 😉

hugpache
New

hi there,

and thnx for the welcome 😉

well, after spending the whole afternoon surfing round and figuring out the problem, i kinda feared that this would be so.
thnx anyway for making that clear. i´ll see what i can get to make this work again...

still don´t get it, why this notebook ships with a 32bit OS...

so thnx and have a nice weekend 😉

actually if you google it you will find out that you can make the hidden recovery partition visible, copy the setup files to somewhere else (you don't want to mess with the files in the recovery partition in case something goes wrong) and then extract those files in order to use them.

I won't go into more detail because I don't know if I'm allowed to do that

Kifli
Visitor

Hy!

I'm using now a vista 64bit with originally installed softwares. That I saw these programs are OEM licenced so I'm not using these apps totally legal. But I extracted my recovery form my hidden partition and I gained all of softwares separetly. So I installed a clean vista x64 and install that softwares I'm using. For example: roxio disc burner, premiere elements, etc. Some drivers are works with x64 platform, others I downloaded from other VAIO drivers. Everithing works fine, like Smart Network, all hotkeys with OST, etc.

I hope I could give some help. If somebody has question send a PM or email to kifli@me.com .

I have all software that required to extract vaio recovery.