Join now - be part of our community!

Recovery confused

alscott
Visitor

Recovery confused

Hi everyone sorry if these questions have already been answered. I have a vaio VGN21s/w with vista home premium installed. When I select the recovery tool when booting from my recovery disc some of the options are slightly different than when entering the tool from windows, and there is an additional option to wipe and erase..
My questions are.... Deep breath...

1. If I use the wipe and erase tool will this overwirte the recovery partition and how will I reinstall after I have used this option. It seems like a good idea to use this function so that no personal data can be recovered by spy ware etc.

2. If I select option 3 complete recovery it states all disk space on the HDD will be C drive and the recovery partition will be restored. Dose this mean the recoverey partition will be restored ie put back in place after a recovery, or will the recovery partition be gone forever.

3. There an additional option when using complete recovery to clear all data on the HDD that overwrites all sectors on the HDD but will not permanently delete all data on your computer.
To a newbie this seems like a contradiction, it overwrites all secotrs, presumably before a recovery but it dosent permanently delete all data :thinking:

4. I bought my vaio pre vista SP1 which I have now installed along with other software, if I create a new recovery disc will these changes be included.

Feeling cheeky now asking all these questions but I`ve started so... :smileyblush:
5. Theres an option windows complete PC restore to restore your computer from a backup, do I need 3rd party software to make a backup, someone suggested paragon express freeware.
Thanks in advance for any response.

0 REPLIES 0