Join now - be part of our community!

problems with games on ati radeon

niemandanders
Visitor

problems with games on ati radeon

I'm from Belgium, my native language is dutch. Hope you dont mind my english. (also posted in dutch section: http://club.vaio.sony.nl/clubvaio/nl/nl/forum/viewthread?thread=61760)

I have a vaio VGN-NS21Z (vista) for about a month now. I installed some games on it: medal of honor airborne and pacific assault plus a COD4 demo.

None of these games play decent, i barely get 10-12 fps. I do have the right specs, all those games demand a 128mb graphic card and i got an ati mobility radeon HD 3430 which has 256.
After some time playing the screen goes black and the image returns after a while. In the taskbar there is:

"Display driver atikmdag stopped responding and has successfully recovered".

A few times my vaio totaly locked up and i had shut it down holding the power button.

In windows i find this with problemsolver.

Beschrijving
Een probleem met de videohardware heeft ervoor gezorgd dat Windows niet meer goed werkt.
A problem with video hardware has caused windows to work correctly

Probleem met handtekening
Naam van probleemgebeurtenis: LiveKernelEvent
Versie van besturingssysteem: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Landinstelling-id: 2067

Bestanden die helpen bij het beschrijven van het probleem (sommige bestanden zijn mogelijk niet meer beschikbaar)
WD-20090224-1956.dmp
sysdata.xml
Version.txt

Tijdelijke kopie van deze bestanden weergeven
Waarschuwing: Het openen van een kopie van deze bestanden kan schadelijk zijn voor uw computer als een virus of een ander beveiligingsprobleem het probleem veroorzaakt.

Extra informatie over het probleem
BCCode: 117
BCP1: 84CEE370
BCP2: 8E029C14
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1
Servergegevens: 9298899d-a6c8-4c27-9332-b7964c94a4db

Given solution:

Volg deze stappen om problemen met ATI Graphics Driver op te lossen.
Follow this steps to solve the problems with ati graphics driver.

Dit probleem is veroorzaakt door ATI Graphics Driver. Dit programma is gemaakt door ATI Technologies, Inc.. ATI Technologies, Inc. heeft momenteel geen oplossing voor het probleem dat u hebt gemeld.
This problem is cause by grap driver, program has been made by ati. Ati doesnt have solutions for the moment concernig your problem

Probleemoplossingen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Met de volgende stappen voor probleemoplossing kunt u voorkomen dat het probleem zich opnieuw voordoet.

Download en installeer een bijgewerkte versie van ATI Graphics Driver vanaf een van deze locaties:
Microsoft Update
ATI Technologies, Inc.
Neem contact op met de computerfabrikant als er geen bijgewerkt stuurprogramma voor ATI Graphics Driver beschikbaar is.
Neem contact op met ATI Graphics Driver voor ondersteuning voor de nieuwste versie van ATI Technologies, Inc..

Her it tells to install latest driver and contact with computermanufacturer or ati.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I do have the latest driver provided by sony, there are no updates for it and ati doesnt have a mobility driver.

I went back to the storer with it, they did a burn in test which showed nothing wrong. So they said a laptop isnt cut out for gaming and the graphics arent well enough.

I do think that's a poor explenation, i do have more then the recuired specs so it should run a bit more decent. Even an older game which requires only 64mb ram graphics doesnt run smooth.

Maybe someone could give some back up on gaming with the HD3430 card or with vaio's in general? I don't find it normal that u cant run a game decent on lowest settings when u fully exceed min. required specs.

I hope someone can help me. I googled on this atikmdag and it gives a lot of hits but no solid solutions.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi niemandanders and welcome to the forum.

I don't have much knowledge of gaming but I suggest that you run a compatibility test on this site:

CAN YOU RUN IT?

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
niemandanders
Visitor

Thanks for the reply rich.

I already did the test on that site and all the games i tried are supposed to work on my vaio.

The problem is by my thinking driver related, but there's no newer version and i already re-installed the driver after getting it completly off my system.

So i'm afraid that even if i can convince the store that i have a problem that maybe they can't fix it.

But i'm going back by end of the week after testing those games on simular laptops and if they work i'll ask the people in the store to try the game on a different brand. Probally will work on that and then they have to admit it's a problem with my vaio.